What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything that goes BANG!

This was posted on the 6th- but I've heard nothing about it till now.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/06/new-york-city-confiscating-rifles-and-shotguns/

edit: just in case the article expires, I'll copy the text here.

The New York City Police Department (NYPD) is sending out letters telling gun owners to turn over their rifles and shotguns — or else face the consequences.

New York City’s ban on rifles and shotguns that hold more than five rounds is now being enforced, according to a letter the NYPD is sending out to targeted city gun owners.

“It appears you are in possession of a rifle and/or Shotgun (listed below) that has an ammunition feeding device capable of holding more than five (5) rounds of ammunition. Rifles and shotguns capable of holding more than five (5) rounds of ammunition are unlawful to possess in New York City, as per NYC Administrative Code 10-306 (b).”

“You have the following options,” the letter explains.

“1. Immediately surrender your Rifle and/or Shotgun to your local police precinct, and notify this office of the invoice number. The firearm may be sold or permanently removed from the City of New York thereafter.

2. Permanently remove your Rifle and/or Shotgun from New York City and provide the following…Disposition Report/Registration Certificate…Notarized statement of permanent removal…Utility bill or other proof of residency regarding the address where the firearm will be stored outside the City of New York.

3. You may call to discuss the matter if you believe your firearm is in compliance…”

Departing New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is a major gun-control activist, with his coalition recently sponsoring an ad that depicts an Adam Lanza-type character entering a school full of children.

New York state, meanwhile, passed the NY SAFE Act in 2013 in response to the Sandy Hook shooting. The law, which bans “high-capacity magazines” and puts in place other stringent controls, was signed by governor and 2016 presidential hopeful Andrew Cuomo.

Oh, yeah, been hearing all about it on Facebook and Calguns. It's terrible! It's not gonna fly for long, methinks.

had alot of fun talking with Bill Bagwell on a hunt i went on back in March.....he brought along 3 bowie knives he made and another guy had a smaller hunting knife of his aswell along with a pile of Sharps rifles...since then ive just been fascinated with the big knives but unfortunately one of his is way out of my price range....after getting back to Montana i ordered his book and found out he partnered with Ontario Knives awhile back and have been on the look out since....finally one popped up on ebay a week or so ago....

the bowie, the kukri my brother is getting for Christmas and my every day carry knife.....

yesterday my boss handed me a .45/120 round that he had. So crazy.

When I was younger we had a 45/90 spencer. I cant imagine what the 120 would be like to shoot. I don't see how it could be anything but painful.

ive shot a 45-100 sharps.....really gets ones attention over a 45-70 lol

Nice knives, Rattler. :D

So far, the hottest HG I've fired was a .41 mag. OUCH! Mot so much my hands as my sinuses. It gave me one of those pre-nosebleed headaches, so I stopped after 3 rounds.

I went and had fun at the range again. :p I got some real, honest-to-golly coaching, too. But now my coach wants to pass me on to the next guy. I've, eh, learnt' all she can teach me, and i need a real coach-coach to help now.

Here's the last target from yesterday, before we got kicked out by the smallbore league. These little bulls are only 1.5" across, if you're wondering. This was done indoors at 50', iron sights, prone. Because I'm really only competing against myself at the moment, and because I didn't have the time to use the plugs before the next group came in, I didn't count Xs. Those are only used as tiebreakers anyways, and bragging points. I see at least three, with mayyyybe one or two more.

the key to firing the bigger handguns is having grips that fit YOUR hand and are of a design to deal with recoil....back in August i got to fire a guys 500 Linebaugh and it wasnt bad....more power than i care to own and definitely starting to cross the line of what i can handle but all in all not a big deal cause it fit my hands and was properly designed....

I actually wasn't having any trouble with the grips on both the .45 and the .41 mag. Actually, I liked the grips on the .41. The shock wave is what was bugging me. Something to get used to, I suppose.

at one point i had a 44 mag that had really good grips and a long enough barrel to help tame the concussion of the muzzle blast and i could run 200 full power rounds through it during the course of an afternoon and be fine and not hurt my wrist...

be careful if you dont like the blast....a whole lot of a flinch can come from just the muzzle blast even if it doesnt hurt your shoulder or wrist.....its why i prefer young kids not to shoot a 22-250 even though the recoil isnt an issue in a heavier gun from the bench

i keep remembering stuff after i hit post.....also hope you are using hearing protection.....ive got hearing problems now cause i was young and stupid, especially with centerfires....a pair of electric ear muffs are worth their weight in gold...especially now that i can follow conversations at the range with them on better than i can with them off due to the damage ive done :0o:

What? WHAAAAT! I can't... hang on, lemme..... *pop-pop*

<--- See avatar. I use ears religiously. I like the 32 & 33 NRR foam ear plugs, they work VERY well when used properly. I have no issue with the noise, usually. Shotguns will make me scamper for a set of muffs, though.

Flinching is the third reason I put the .41 away. It was getting pretty bad. The second reason, well, first, really, is that I couldn't control the light trigger. She had it set so super light that all I had to do was blink and it'd go off. Unsafe!!!! My friend seemed to have good control of it, but I just couldn't get it to fire when *I* wanted to. I did dozens of dry fires trying to get the hang of it. Scary.

Last edited:
a light trigger isnt automatically unsafe and in certain circumstances is desirable.....wouldnt put one on a 41 mag cause to me that is a hunting gun(likely gonna be used with cold hands), or a defensive gun(going to be used whe adrenalin is high and fine motor skills go out the window).....were it a target 22 or a 38 target gun i could see it...on a 41 not so much....

No, I wasn't condemning it entirely, but I won't use it an more. ;) I just don't like the feeling of no control. As a matter of fact, it was my friend's carry, in a different place and time. It is still a desk buddy, for use in emergencies. Hence the light trigger.

updated pics of the AR

I've known for a while that I need to do something about the really high sights. While I'm waiting for more funds to arrive, I took some bits of leather, sheepskin and lace, and made a cheek pad. :awesome:

Revision X01 was crocheted from safety pink and yellow yarn. Functionally it was great, but it looks pretty bad, even by my tastes; I won't show it.

Rev. X02 is a re-purposed worn out slipper. It's comfy and it puts my cheek just about where I want it, but it tends to slip and even roll right over. :eek:

Rev. X03 is some store-bought suede and lace. So far, so good! Tomorrow is the test.

my WIP:

Springfield XDm 45 ACP 3.8 Compact......this thing is ******* sweet. Comes with a balla *** case, 1 9rd mag, 1 13rd mag with grip extension, 3 interchangeable backstraps and 13 rd clip extensions, brush, holster, mag pouch, allan wrench and magazine loader. Whew! I think that's it!

i love it, ergonomics/feel are top notch, stock the recoil is very manageable for a 45, very balanced firearm, laser accurate, high capacity for caliber, versitle(you can either use it as a compact/CC with the 9rd mag or go with 13rd mag and get the full size grip)and looks like a 9mm til you see the barrel. lol!

sorry guys I chose this over a glock g30s and don't regret it for a second. Not saying one is better than the other(just my personal taste) but if you get a chance give this gun a try.

mods I have done so far:

tritium/fiber optic night sights.
upgraded guide rod/recoil spring assy.
grip extension for 9rd mag also bumping capacity to 10 rd.
3 extra 13 rd mags.
upsized mag release button(haven't received it yet)
and planned competition trigger kit

here it is stock with 9rd mag.........if there is one thing springfield dropped the ball on was this mag......it's too short but a grip extension is a whopping 8 bux so easy and cheap fix.

102_0941_zps9ba95172.jpg

stock with 13rd mag and grip extension

102_0943_zps40b8f5ce.jpg

dpm recoil kit installed which changes the looks of the guide rod assy to give it that classic beretta bump. Personally I prefer the new looks:

102_0965_zps37fc3260.jpg

9rd mag grip/capacity extension installed. now it is 10rd...the pierce grip extension is marketed for the XD but fits the XDm without issue and once they make an extension to better match the Xdm grip, I will get that. They say it doesn't fit a XDm but it will so XDm owners that want a grip/capacity extension....go for it! also wanted to note that there is another grip extension available that is much slimmer and about half the length of this one but doesn't add any capacity.

102_0978_zpsd51c17a6.jpg

lastly truglo night sights.....i picked the yellow/green bc the green is brighter which brings the front into a better focus I think

102_0964_zps24e010e2.jpg

enjoy!

Last edited:
That looks really comfy, Bobby. Nice! We can't have any magazine past 10 rounds here, bummer. I wonder if the stock grip will fit my smaller hands. I'll have to find one and give it a good lookover. That's both a trigger safety and a grip safety. Neat-o!

I did more work at the outdoor range today. I'm bushed! The next time I go practicing I'll get a photo of me all bundled up. It's sure not comfy, but it's starting to show results. :awesome: I have pretty much all the gear now; glove, special padded jacket (fits awful!), mat on loan, suitable sling, and access to club loaner spotting scopes. When I stick to rimfire, I usually can see my hits, but it's good to have a scope handy. In order to get the jacket to *barely* fit, I stacked two sweaters underneath. It got toasty when teh sun moved around and lit me up. Phew.

I'm not sure what was going on, besides the long list of errors. :lol: The new cheek pad slips something awful, the stupid rear sight still catches light and makes it difficult to see through, the black pasters I was using to shade the rear sight kept falling off, and I had a bad lot of ammo -- the cases had a bad finish, and they kept getting stuck, failing to extract. I'd have to disengage my hand that's jammed pretty firmly in the glove between the sling and stock, unclip the sling, roll the gun over one way and myself over the other way, drop the magazine and fingers from opposite sides to remove the stuck brass. This would of course change my position, and I'd have to re-settle. Ugh! I was doing my practice as the rest of the club was having a practice match, so I'd have to time my strings between their stages. There were two rapid fire stages in a row, so I just sat those out and dozed. I never thought that I'd ever catch myself dozing at an active (and noisy!) firing range! I really did manage to nod off for a few. When the 3 minute prep period for last stage was called, I bundled myself up again, and somehow managed to do twice as well as I have been doing all day. I must have changed something, but it beats me what it was. When the line was called clear, and I could go get my target and see how well I did, I packed up. End on a high note, yanno! :D

I've started shadowing the range officers on Saturdays at the indoor range. I'm going to learn myself up to be an RO myself, so it helps to help out and learn how it's done. It also helps with the club Brownie points. ;) The afternoon started off nutso, with one group taking turns at a lane (causing billing headaches for me), and then it slowed, slowed, slowed and stopped. By five there was just me and the RO. He sat around and read, and I popped off the last 15 rounds of that yucky, sticky lot of ammo, and bid it good riddance. In an attempt to keep the educational theme, after completely wasting five rounds on a tennis ball, I decided to do some work on holding the sight shooting offhand. I'm not very good at offhand. I didn't really care about whether I hit the black, or what score, I was just focusing on, well, focusing (the front post is difficult to focus on), and trying to hold bloody still. Which is also hard in offhand. I think I did OK, considering.

Last edited:
also has an internal safety.......but to your other q......the #1 backstrap should work for you just fine. It comes with 3 different grips for different hands.

here is the new mag release button by magloc I installed btw...only thing left is the trigger kit

102_0980_zps6edc550d.jpg

Last edited:
Back