Thread: How To: 10 gallon tank for CPs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How To: 10 gallon tank for CPs

I found this photo:
    https://www.florafauna.com/images/ca...anted_tank.bmp
    and I was wondering how to set up something like this. I would worry about drainage and mold.
    How can this be done successfully?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really can't with the temperate plants shown unless you are willing to tear it apart each year for dormancy. Here is a great thread showing a tropical/subtropical terrarium.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, like the Ceph tank you really need to pick plants that have similar requirements to do well. Otherwise you're best sticking to individual pots so it's easier to fix things if necessary.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love creating planted terrariums, they are fun to watch grow in and evolve. So, provided you choose temperature appropriate plants for your terrarium what you can do is fill the bottom of the tank with Hydroton, large river pebbles from Home depot or some other larger rocks to create a "false bottom" where excess water will collect. Make this drainage area at least 1 inch deep and better yet 2 or 3 inches deep. Then lay some fine plastic mosquito screen over it and then put in your terrarium soil to a depth of 4" or more. Depending what plants you choose will dictate what kind of soil mix you will use and how wet it should stay. Total you will loose about 6 inches or more of vertical space in your tank for the soil area so get a tank that will give you a suitable height for plant growth after being put together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process of making a vivarium for my Rhacodactylus. In the build, I am using an egg crate barrier to create a false bottom. You should look into this. They are very easy to maintain and can be manipulated to create water features where aquatic Utrics would thrive amongst other tropicals to create a truly balanced build.
    My Growlist

Good Growing!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool, I didn't even know that they had plants in there with different requirements. Yep, new guy here.
    I was just wondering how to make that type of tank work, but with your help, I think I have the info on making a setup, and choosing the right plants.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer potted setups so pruning and whatnot can be performed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acro View Post
    I found this photo:
    https://www.florafauna.com/images/ca...anted_tank.bmp
    and I was wondering how to set up something like this. I would worry about drainage and mold.
    How can this be done successfully?
    Photo taken 5 minutes after the plants were first placed in the tank!
    but somehow they never seem to take another photo 6 months later when some of the plants are half dead..
    and they never take another photo a year later when the whole thing has been taken apart and given up on, because it was a total failure..

Scot