What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

when friends find out you have a camera...

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
Great pictures! Not enough heliamphora though, you have to bless us with a new pic update of your plants :p

hmmmm speaking of which

:p

"Can you bring your camera, it's so much better than mine"

Nice pics Butch, what lens did you use? Are some of these with the L series telephoto?

Thanks Gabriel, and yep.... actually all were taken with the "L"
I love that lens :)

the precious..... LOL

Thanks Gabriel, and yep.... actually all were taken with the "L"
I love that lens :)

the precious..... LOL
For those of us who haven't quite memorized your stash of lenses - what focal length is your 'precious'?

Nice pics. Is number 26 on the Number Crunchers a relative? There seems to be a few more pics of her than any of the others..... :cool:

Those L lenses do seem to be outstanding glass, perhaps my only regret about choosing Nikon over Canon! :p

For those of us who haven't quite memorized your stash of lenses - what focal length is your 'precious'?

Nice pics. Is number 26 on the Number Crunchers a relative? There seems to be a few more pics of her than any of the others..... :cool:

Ron,

No... I don't even know who she is, the pics were taken based solely on opportunity. Some players who were next up to bat would stand in my way (not intentionally) blocking my view, others didn't get on base much.... etc.
All the game pics were taken from my vantage point at the 3rd base dugout.

None are family and there is only a couple that I even know their names

I did my best to balance things out... I tried to capture emotion and/or action when possible

I missed the shot, but #26 took a line drive to the inner thigh, and owie what a bruise. I bet she feels that today LOL

The girl that played first and the guy with the dog provided the most opportunities for whatever reason.... I have quite a few more of theirs that I didn't include in the group. (redundant feeling images mostly)

The lens is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
(entry level for an L series)

Wonderful lens for outside, daylight use... amazing sharpness and color balance/saturation
It was actually my first time really using it at this level.
I'm pleased with my effort for my first try, but I'll do better the next time.

hehehehehe Gabriel, just trade that old nasty Nikon in and get ya a Canon my friend.

Last edited:
When your boss finds out you have a camera you are drafted to take the pictures at the company holiday party. The first year I got a new flash unit for my troubles. The second year I was expected to get a slide show together to have running during the party, and take the pictures with no special compensation for it. I was also told that for the third year the slide show was to include music and include movie clips taken of staff having fun throughout the year. That's when I decided to look for another job.

Luckily, my employer has dedicated people for that purpose, plus they are territorial so I don't have that worry :)
For me, it's limited to friends and family

:)

Was out birding today with a group. One woman brought her canon with her honking "L" lens. First clue was that she had that heavy gear and didn't bring so much as a monopod. Second clue was when she took two shots and said her battery was dead. Third clue was the fact that she didn't bring a spare battery.
Wish I had her budget for toys to not use. I'm debating saving for a bigma or getting the 300mm f/4 and sourcing a 1.4 tc

Oh she was green....

I took a monopod but never used it, for L's mine is pretty small.
But if you are using big AF zooms and burst shooting for action, you better have some battery capacity to back ya up.

I have a battery grip on mine with a 8 cell AA tray if the need arises.

Do you take a spotting scope when you got birding?

Last edited:
I don't have one yet, got some good bins thought. Been toying with the idea of buying one of those cheap superzoom cameras for taking pics for later identification use. Quality will suck but might be handy for those I can't id in the field. When with a group there is usually at least one person with a scope and tripod who will set up and let others look. We did that with cormorants today so some beginners could easily see them.

I would be interested in Judy's advice too

But, FWIW I have a pair of Nikon Action Extreme 10x50mm Bins but they would get heavy if carried all day birding IMHO
10x is a little hard to hold steady after a while.... maybe some 8x35 would be more suited to the job, dunno
As far as quality goes though, hellva lot of bang for the buck

I did get a nice "birding" spotting scope a couple weeks ago (for range/field use), very light and very compact.
A little bit undersized though for seeing tiny holes in paper (0.177") at 100yds
The quality of the glass is amazing though in it's price point IMHO
Minox MD50 W
6654f255-e0df-41a4-ae1c-3475bef55c0b-full.jpg

A ar, far cry from my Harbor Freight Special, which doesn't work worth beans.

Funny, I never get asked to take pictures at work. Lil Sis asks, though, all the time. Heh!

I was curious as to how the harbor freight unit performed....

Don't bother. Maybe with a better tripod it'll make a suitable birding or RC soaring spotter, but the eye relief is NIL, and my safety glasses get in the way. It just gets worse at higher magnification.

Back