User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Vote for the top 3 best!

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • amphirion - S. x catsebaei

3 14.29%
  • mcmcnair - H. sp. Angasima

4 19.05%
  • William9in - N. rafflesiana BE #99

2 9.52%
  • Maiden - S. ‘dana delight’

1 4.76%
  • RL7836 - U. nephrophylla x reniformis

9 42.86%
  • kulamauiman - P. laueana

12 57.14%
  • Av8tor1 - H. ‘Butchenisis’

7 33.33%
  • adnedarn -- U. alpina x endresii

0 0%
  • D_muscipula - N. truncata “Pasian Highland”

4 19.05%
  • Ace209 - D. Filliformis Trayci

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Plant of the Month September 2013

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes please, I would LOVE to see the soil too! ;-)
    (mighty fine plant, great photos, kula!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Mach, I can't see the underside of the leaves in ANY of those shots. If you could get some shots from underneath that would be great. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some people love to stir it up ,for me plant of the month should show a plant has been grown well over a period of time,i could post a pic of a nep pitcher that looks good but if i zoomed out the whole plant itself could look like crap,that ping to me looks more impressive with a pic of the plant ,nice ping kula

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    My fave ...

The lack of precise focus as well as the deliberately-centered primary subject is an intriguing use of artistic license to crush the photographic dictum concerning 'thirds' - while simultaneously throwing adherents of the dictum something to ponder with the wonderfully translucent curved background appendage in the lower region. The not-quite-vertical apparition on the right continues the lack-of-focus theme and adds a touch of tension to the submission.

Pure genius.
    My thoughts exactly. My point has and is that with the few pics I have been taking up to this point, trying to tell the the whole story. But of course like any story there are the bits that don't translate well to any medium. Be it text, photo or video. Can you imagine a tale of two cities taken one picture at a time? Even the movie/video adaptations of said epic won't completely reproduce said book. Sure if we can compose things to make it tell something important or illustrate a point, get all of the plant, but if it doesn't then it is all gratuitous, extraneous BS that the people throwing stones don't seem to even adhere to in the case of "see the whole plant". Sure composing a whole plant pic of S. purpurea, or S. psitticina not to bad vs S. flava or any of the tall ones. Even at seedlings the aspect of the height to width of the taller species make it difficult to do justice. I am waiting for someone to say "well the pictures should include the parts that trap insects" and then what happens to the both of us that enjoy taking pics of utricularia and gensliea that for the most part do not have the most photogenic traps. I can and do take pics of utricularia bladders with the camera and my lab's microscope, but I don't see them as germane to the picture, nor is trying to take the entire plant in the case of something like U. nelumbifolia's three - six foot long flower stalks. All I have seen lately are people grumbling, complaining *****ing that "the same people always win", or "the person running contest is doing it wrong", or "voting is rigged" or "the rules suck". People have stopped having fun. I always looked at this as fun. Opportunity to learn, try new photo techniques, show off something new growing, flowering, or illustrate how the differences in cultural practices affect color, shape or form of the plants in question. A lot of the time I submit things and I don't even vote, not for myself or anyone else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    some people love to stir it up ,for me plant of the month should show a plant has been grown well over a period of time,i could post a pic of a nep pitcher that looks good but if i zoomed out the whole plant itself could look like crap,that ping to me looks more impressive with a pic of the plant ,nice ping kula
    got several question: how do you show a plant that has been grown over time? What is the time frame? from time you planted it? time you received the plant? photo montage and have one morph into the other? The problem I see is that we have only a small snapshot in time. In one of the pitchers of the months I did try to capture the pitcher from a mature un-opened pitcher to full open and almost mature. Mostly for the fun of it, but I don't see that it is a standard to judge people's photos by as this again is a snap shot a very finite slice of time. Yes, I intend to do this for this flower as well to allow myself to capture the development, update the progress and if everything is timed right it blooms completely by the end of the month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not grown over time,grown well over a time,ie not only the newest growth looks good,i have obviously got the wrong idea ,my comments were not directed towards you, just in general,i just like pics of the entire plants when possible,but hey this is meant to be fun,think my point is pretty obvious so not gonna carry on splitting hairs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    where is the whole plant?
    Its a pitcher, not a flower.

For myself, you can post your dirty socks i dont care, im not the one who bring this conversation here. And why do you go crazy by posting each square inch of your plant ?
    Just take it easy
    Maiden

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Its a pitcher, not a flower.

For myself, you can post your dirty socks i dont care, im not the one who bring this conversation here. And why do you go crazy by posting each square inch of your plant ?
    Just take it easy

Originally Posted by mcmcnair

I agree with Corky, it's not flower of the month. As beautiful as some of these shots are it would be nice to see the whole plants as well.
    I already had this conversation with thezyo, flowers are accepted. My point was the same as you; its the 'plant of the month' contest.
    I guess you didd post that either?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast