What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant identification! (not a CP)

Heya friends. Yesterday at work, this particularly odd vining tree at the jobsite I've been working at managed to catch my eye. The place was right on the Puget Sound, in Burien WA to be specific. I'm very curious regarding the name of this plant, but I have had no luck finding anything, even through online plant search engines. If I had an account on a non-carnivorous plant forum I'd ask there, but alas, I do not.

Picture!
http://cpforums.org/gallery/d/41704...2_GALLERYSID=0d6490dd25cb08e584ef0a2da1edc2b6

Its large fruits are hanging below the leaves all over. They are almost the same size and firmness of a pear, but the part inside is very squishy, like gelatin, and holds the seeds inside. I'm dying to know what it is, I've never seen it before!
Thanks guys :)

Green papaya? Then again, I just searched "white long fruit" on Google images and thought they looked alike.

I searched that, the plant that came up was definitely different than this one. Thanks for the reply though :)

Capparis spinosa. Caper. Need to see flowers to be certain. Will grow in places that olives can grow. Climate is mild in costal PNW

I don't know that it can be assigned to a species so easily, but it does certainly look to be a Capparis species.
Good eye kulamauiman!

Were there spines on the plant at the base of the leaves? I can't see them in the picture. If not, then it's not C. spinosa (and I don't know where to go from there).
If it does have spines, then I guess it is C. spinosa!

I don't know that it can be assigned to a species so easily, but it does certainly look to be a Capparis species.
Good eye kulamauiman!
Ideed. Can't say species for certain. And others may be more cold tolerant. Got an endemic here. No spines. But won't take cold

Back