Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All the More Reason to Avoid Facebook

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the writing on the wall years ago and deleted my account. It amazes me that FB is now so arrogantly confident in its ability to ruthlessly mine its user content for resources that it is now stating as much in such blatant terms in the TOS. For many, that obviously isn't a problem. Me....I'm having nothing to do with it. Pure evil, IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    A: Facebook is now able to exploit your name, likeness, content, images, private information, and personal brand by using it in advertising and in commercial and sponsored content without any compensation to you. Facebook is monetizing not just your images, but a sizable portion of your entire online identity.
    Replace the word "facebook" with "internet users" and it still reads the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jawn is correct, any OS you're using is constantly sending data to corporations; internet history and things of that nature. to customize marketing to your specific tastes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a weak comparison, since "data gathering" of the sort you mention is NOT the same as Facebook's agenda to coerce members to create useful content solely for the purpose of capitalizing on said free content. Facebook has a very different agenda and is equipped to use people in a very different way. Sharing analytics for the purpose of "targeted marketing' isn't the same thing at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Facebook's agenda to coerce members to create useful content solely for the purpose of capitalizing on said free content. Facebook has a very different agenda and is equipped to use people in a very different way.
    Hypothetically, how can you know that some shady person isn't taking pictures from your blog, turning them into a calendar, and selling them on the streets of another country? I guess that's my ultimate point. At least facebook tells you they're doing it. Bootleggers around the world won't be as honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when hypotheticals get silly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I had always held the belief that Facebook was Evil, pure and simple. No reason for that attitude to change . . .
    ditto..
    Never have, and never will have a facebook page.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawn View Post
    Hypothetically, how can you know that some shady person isn't taking pictures from your blog, turning them into a calendar, and selling them on the streets of another country? I guess that's my ultimate point. At least facebook tells you they're doing it. Bootleggers around the world won't be as honest.
    I can't afford to worry about things I have absolutely no control over, such as the scenario you propose. There is an ocean of difference between that and knowing that Facebook fully intends to harvest and profit from their users content. That is something I do have control over: I do not participate in media that intend to steal from me and use my content in ways I do not approve of. Simple!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast