Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All the More Reason to Avoid Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    My thoughts exactly. This whole time my impression of this thread has been along the lines of, 'Who feels they are so important as to actually warrant the attention of Facebook's marketing campaign?'
    Even though still unlikely, I suspect the more 'real' potential is that FB offers up their content to a host of others (for a price). As more companies sift through the content, they are more likely to use info or pics than FB itself - imo. Whether real or imagined, I do still find it quite amazing that there is not more of a backlash against FB for their brazen use (or at least potential use) of their user's content/info.

Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    Also, the idea of it being called a waste of time is a bit silly (even though it is..), considering where this complaint is being lodged (a time-sucking plant forum).
    This statement (as well as Sundrew's follow-up) somehow makes the assessment that:

- all time-sucks are created equal
    - even while consciously (or unconsciously) wasting time on one, it is not acceptable to call out the time-wastage attributes of another

I disagree on both points (& could pontificate extensively on each - inadvertently making the time-wastage concept even more-vividly apparent) . . . . . . .
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    However, given the number of people who are members, it does strike me that the issue of FB actually using anything of mine for their profit-driven (or other) motives - is one of principle more than the actual reality -- kinda like a reverse lottery (in a lottery - you hope you will win...).
    I seriously doubt that pictures of my plants, cats, and family are going to elicit a whole lot of marketable attention!
    That's the "miracle" of big data: It doesn't take a lot of work to monetize your information. Anyone who puts their phone number or address on facebook -- boom, they immediately can sell that information along with the correlated location data. So it's not that someone specifically wants to contact you. The more data you give, the more interested parties there will be.

Examples: If there's a hotly contested political race for your area, all the candidate needs to do is buy the database of all the locations and demographics that he's short on and target them for advertising. Or if I make safety products for children, I can use your monitored browsing habits to target my ads at you.

So it's not about you just being little ol' you when your data can be so easily pooled and monetized. There are plenty more ways for facebook to sell your data than slapping a picture of you in an ad. They vary in their degree of nefariousness, but none of them are fun.

It's like with NSA snooping. It's not "I'm not interesting, they won't care about me!" That just isn't how it works. When data collection (and collation and sales/usage) is all highly automated, nobody slips under the radar because they're too small.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...

The parents of a teen who killed herself are outraged that her photo was used in an ad on Facebook

http://www.centurylink.net/tv/3/play...facebook_a-cnn

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the More Reason to Avoid Facebook-oo9jt-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All the More Reason to Avoid Facebook-oo9hi-jpg  
    Last edited by mato; 09-18-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ like

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://nypost.com/2013/09/19/woman-s...v-positive-ad/
    A Brooklyn woman is suing a major stock-photo company after she found her image splashed across ads in city newspapers as a veritable poster child for the rights of HIV-positive people.

A perfectly healthy Avril Nolan, 25, has filed a $450,000 lawsuit against Getty Images in Manhattan Supreme Court, accusing the photo agency of improperly allowing her image to be used in the advertisements.

The ads’ implication that she had the dreaded disease has hurt her personal and professional relationships and caused her emotional distress, she says in the suit.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone for Scrabble or Words With Friends?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watch the first minute and a half of this video for something on being tracked

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast