What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All the More Reason to Avoid Facebook

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Beware Facebook's New Terms of Service

Q: What Do These Changes Let Facebook Do With My Information And Content?
A: Facebook is now able to exploit your name, likeness, content, images, private information, and personal brand by using it in advertising and in commercial and sponsored content — without any compensation to you. Facebook is monetizing not just your images, but a sizable portion of your entire online identity.

All the more reason to register under a pseudonym.

What good is that going to do?

A) It's a violation of Facebook's Terms of Service
B) It will just make in more difficult to claim Intellectual Property Rights on stuff you have posted.

I had always held the belief that Facebook was Evil, pure and simple. No reason for that attitude to change . . .

All the more reason to register under a pseudonym.

I agree. I explained as much to a co-worker yesterday who used her same email accounts, etc for everything she did. I enjoy using facebook and will continue to enjoy it. All of my information, et al on that site, or any other social media site is bland, boring and vague and if true, is already "out there" due to a former job posting my papers and power point slides (remember those) as part of their resources to providers pages.. The email account I use is a "throwaway" one that not even the service I used has actual information.

I only have "business" pages on Facebook, My space, etc. If they wanna promote my label or magazine for free, that's fine by me! :awesome:

Though, they don't do that, they want me to pay them to promote my pages and "increase my reach" and promise to get me a certain number of likes a day for a certain fee. If they can "guarantee" so many likes per day, how many are actually zombie accounts? :scratch:

I don't have any personal pages on those kinda sites, or any others that I can think of. In profiles I usually make up mostly BS.

I had always held the belief that Facebook was Evil, pure and simple. No reason for that attitude to change . . .

so well put. I have nothing more to add

I saw the writing on the wall years ago and deleted my account. It amazes me that FB is now so arrogantly confident in its ability to ruthlessly mine its user content for resources that it is now stating as much in such blatant terms in the TOS. For many, that obviously isn't a problem. Me....I'm having nothing to do with it. Pure evil, IMO.

A: Facebook is now able to exploit your name, likeness, content, images, private information, and personal brand by using it in advertising and in commercial and sponsored content — without any compensation to you. Facebook is monetizing not just your images, but a sizable portion of your entire online identity.

Replace the word "facebook" with "internet users" and it still reads the same.

jawn is correct, any OS you're using is constantly sending data to corporations; internet history and things of that nature. to customize marketing to your specific tastes

That is a weak comparison, since "data gathering" of the sort you mention is NOT the same as Facebook's agenda to coerce members to create useful content solely for the purpose of capitalizing on said free content. Facebook has a very different agenda and is equipped to use people in a very different way. Sharing analytics for the purpose of "targeted marketing' isn't the same thing at all.

Facebook's agenda to coerce members to create useful content solely for the purpose of capitalizing on said free content. Facebook has a very different agenda and is equipped to use people in a very different way.

Hypothetically, how can you know that some shady person isn't taking pictures from your blog, turning them into a calendar, and selling them on the streets of another country? I guess that's my ultimate point. At least facebook tells you they're doing it. Bootleggers around the world won't be as honest.

when hypotheticals get silly :awesome:

ditto..
Never have, and never will have a facebook page.

Hypothetically, how can you know that some shady person isn't taking pictures from your blog, turning them into a calendar, and selling them on the streets of another country? I guess that's my ultimate point. At least facebook tells you they're doing it. Bootleggers around the world won't be as honest.

I can't afford to worry about things I have absolutely no control over, such as the scenario you propose. There is an ocean of difference between that and knowing that Facebook fully intends to harvest and profit from their users content. That is something I do have control over: I do not participate in media that intend to steal from me and use my content in ways I do not approve of. Simple!

I also agree with those who have seen the evils of FB management & decided to stay away. However, unlike them, I planned 'someday' to join to help me reconnect with many long-lost friends from high school, college & prior jobs. FB's insistence on continuing the uninhibited exploitation of their users is making this option more & more remote .... :censor:

The difference between someone stealing your wallet and someone requiring you to sign a release giving them permission to steal your wallet -- I find immense.

The difference between someone stealing your wallet and someone requiring you to sign a release giving them permission to steal your wallet -- I find immense.

Indeed, because if you give them permission to take your wallet, then they aren't really stealing it, are they? :)

Back