Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What if . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if . . .

Hey everyone, this question has bothered me all week, would it be possible to cross-pollinate a Heliamphora with a Darlingtonia and get viable seeds or would it be impossible? I'm just curious.

Nepenthes newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that's not possible.. It's only possible to hybridize two closely related species within the same genus..Both Darlingtonia and Heliamphora are different genera with different trap mechanisms. Even if it were possible to crossbreed, I doubt it would be able to catch insects, which automatically disqualifies it as a "carnivorous plant".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even remotely possible.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia and Heliamphora both have different chromosome numbers, thus making it impossible unless some radical mutation were to occur. Although they are from the same family, evolving over the millennia has kept them genetically separate as species.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia and Heliamphora both have different chromosome numbers, thus making it impossible unless some radical mutation were to occur. Although they are from the same family, evolving over the millennia has kept them genetically separate as species.
    Horses and donkeys have a different number of chromosomes.

Now, I'm not saying it is possible, but with biology you should be careful with your absolutes. "Never" is never always true.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a general rule plants or animals of different genus cannot naturally interbreed. But that's not to say that it couldn't be done in a lab. the only example, I can think of at the top of my head, of an organism of different genus being interbred are sheep and goats.