What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Thank" a post

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello guys, I have activated a "Thank" a post mod. You have limited thanks so please use them wisely. If they get abused as "likes" instead of in topics that actually help and contain great info.. they will be removed and we risk loosing the feature. Anybody that shows indications that they are trading thanks to raise their numbers or thanking things that really have no need to be thanks can also lose the feature (be banned from it). It is there to help encourage people to post great topics and help us all... Not to like pictures or things like that.
Questions here.
Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited:
Hello andrew

This feature will work with the mobile version?

And I thought we were bringing back those little squares:-O

Maiden, doesn't look like it. Mobile version is a stripped down, many features removed way to use TF.

haha kahnli those were indicators that someone was a trouble maker and had been wacked by the ban hammer a few times. good memory though! That was with the original software. :p

Hello guys, I have activated a "Thank" a post mod. You have limited thanks so please use them wisely. If they get abused as "likes" instead of in topics that actually help and contain great info.. they will be removed and we risk loosing the feature. Anybody that shows indications that they are trading thanks to raise their numbers or thanking things that really have no need to be thanks can also lose the feature (be banned from it). It is there to help encourage people to post great topics and help us all... Not to like pictures or things like that.
Questions here.
Thanks!
Andrew
I don't think I really understand this. How do you get a 'thanks'?

I don't think I really understand this. How do you get a 'thanks'?

Basically, if someone thinks you have posted useful/helpful/valuable information in a post, then your peers can "vote" for it with a "thanks".

Oh ok. I thought it was something where you had to earn thanks and spend them.

So, despite the explanation, this really is just the same as the "like" feature, right? Otherwise, I'm not sure that I understand the point (or the cap).

So, despite the explanation, this really is just the same as the "like" feature, right? Otherwise, I'm not sure that I understand the point (or the cap).

I think its a bit more involved than just a simple (IE: dumb) "like" button; it is something intended to reward people (purely an emotional reward, mind you) for posting useful information. If you were to post a brief essay detailing your experience in growing a particularly challenging species, or debunking the persistent myths about the supposedly difficult genus Cephalotus, and your peers thought it contributed something meaningful to the discussion, the "thanks" button could be used to acknowledge that contribution. I think Andrew's goal is to encourage a better signal-to-noise ratio on the forum by encouraging us to seek the "reward" we might get for posting something genuinely instructional/useful, at the same time de-emphasizing pointless chatter. Whether it will have that effect or not remains to be seen. While I loathe the ubiquitous presence of the gawd-awful "like" button, this tool could in fact be something that improves the quality of discussion on TF. If it fails, I'm sure Andrew will banish it. It doesn't hurt to try it out, does it?

for sure it doesnt hurt and easy enough to ignore entirely as I intend to do.

do not see what is wrong with a like button Paul,if i like a pic or post i can use it without having to put a short post saying so ,but this is a good feature and some posts deserve the recognition

like buttons are the lazy mans post.

i guess the idea of a like button is much better than what it ends up being. if you like something, take the 30 seconds to say so. do you really need a button? talk about lazy! holy cow

true but sometimes you don't need lots of two word posts,and people often just post 'like' anyway,quite often you can like a post without wanting to add to it

I agree. Honestly, I prefer to just hit the "like" button than write something silly and ingratiating like "Whoa, great plants!" But when there's nothing else to say, that's what happens.

Thanks for the explanation, Paul. So, in a way, this is similar to the reward people receive by having their threads "stickied," which implies it is useful and should be easy to find. I think the "thanks" button makes more sense, since so many of those "stickies" are outdated and should be removed (particularly when the original authors don't edit these threads, even after making changes of their own).

wow Mato someone agrees with me,almost used up a thanks:-D

Whim nailed it. People spend valuable time writing g thoughtful posts and topics. I know I appreciate it and others do too... So let's show people!
There was a like button on top left of posts that no one used. I removed it when I installed this to cut down on the amount of buttons sitting around.
Maybe it was because the like button looked like a Facebook like... But it was purely for forum use.

An interesting idea. I had no clue about the 'like' button that is now gone. 'Guess I'm kind of paranoid about anything that smacks of Facebook.

Back