Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How am I doing so far?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D. capensis looks too dry to me, like it has wilted a bit from too little water..
    keep standing water in the tray at all times, and it should perk back up..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Yeah I was going to offer you U. gibba, but it sounds like you got ya' hands full already haha. I too have been waiting to get some grmanifolia. It's fairly readily available in fish stores and online vendors, although I'm just hoping to get it in a trade some day or something. I'm more a fan of terrestrial and ephiphytic species though. The epiphytes are really the coolest ones by far. You should check them out if you haven't already. I also think that scott's on the money about the capensis eing too dry. I'd make sure theres RO or rainwater in it's tray all of the time. Nepenthes don't like constantly wet soil, but drosera appreciate it very much.
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    The D. capensis looks too dry to me, like it has wilted a bit from too little water..
    keep standing water in the tray at all times, and it should perk back up..

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by East_to_west View Post
    Nice! Yeah I was going to offer you U. gibba, but it sounds like you got ya' hands full already haha. I too have been waiting to get some grmanifolia. It's fairly readily available in fish stores and online vendors, although I'm just hoping to get it in a trade some day or something. I'm more a fan of terrestrial and ephiphytic species though. The epiphytes are really the coolest ones by far. You should check them out if you haven't already. I also think that scott's on the money about the capensis eing too dry. I'd make sure theres RO or rainwater in it's tray all of the time. Nepenthes don't like constantly wet soil, but drosera appreciate it very much.
    Thanks. I went away last weekend and forgot to fill the tray before I left. It was fairly dry when I got back so perhaps this is the cause of the problem. I'll be sure to keep up with the water. I'm using jugs of distilled water from the grocery store. Anyone ever get a white powdery substance growing on the pots? I'm wondering if this could be a fungus or mold maybe? I'll try to post a picture if I don't get any response.

If I ever come across any graminifolia on one of the aquatic plant forums I'll try to spread it here. I'll have to check out the other types of Utricularia, I'm only really familiar with the aquatic ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and the pot with the white stuff on it is clay/terracotta I'm not sure if this is a bad thing as I see mostly plastic pots in pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic of the white stuff:

Also could it be a bad thing that the stake I'm using to hold up my Nep has some sort of metal lining the inside to make it rigid? I believe it is some sort of tomato stake. Should I replace it with something plastic or wood?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white stuff is definitely a fungus of some sort, probably a mold. You might be able to control it with a little cinnamon powder stirred into the water. Cinnamon is a good fungicide and low in toxicity to people, pets and most plants. On the other hand the mold might not cause you any real problems.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's no issue for the plant it doesn't really bother me. I may try the cinnamon if it won't harm the plant. Or I may repot the plant in something plastic if that wouldn't be too much stress so soon after it's initial repotting?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clay pots have some advantages, allowing the soil to 'breath'. If the plant is in no danger or distress I'd leave it be.
    - Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12