User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceph Eden Black X self on E-bay.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Since this was a first launch of the "selfed" clones, it is a bit too early to see much variation. As an aside, that "Emu Point" clone also originally came from me and was given to the late Dennis Hastings a few years ago; and the only reason that it was even named, was that it was one of the only Cephalotus available, in the US, that had been truly site-specific. It had never been named a "giant" or anything else until later, and certainly not by me . . .
    Its always good to get more information. Hopefully you can clear up a few things about the Emu Point that I was never able to get a clear answer on. Is this clone from one seed collected at Emu Point or were there many seeds collected and grown up under this name? Basically are there many different clones with the name Emu Point or just the one?

When I received my plant from Dennis it was labeled Emu Point Giant so I just kept it that way. I have noticed over the years that my Emu Point has produced larger than "typical" pitchers and a very noticeable increase in the number of leaves I get. So many leaves in fact that the last 2 leaf pull giveaways and potting up way more than I would ever want still leaves me with a few plants with 10+ leaves.

Here is the info I got from Dennis when I got my plant, he just cut and pasted it from his website. Any additional information or corrections would be greatly appreciated.

"I have added this plant as an unusual clone because of the history it was given. This plant was seed grown from a mother plant originating in the Emu point region of southern Australia. It has been said the parent plant produced pitchers as large as three inches. Since this has been seed grown, there in no way to emphatically state this plant will grow up to be a giant also. I will keep this plant updated in a set of images to let you know how it does.

I have since learned from the person I received the plant from, that the pitchers on the seed grown plants get to about 2.5 inches tall."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Its always good to get more information. Hopefully you can clear up a few things about the Emu Point that I was never able to get a clear answer on. Is this clone from one seed collected at Emu Point or were there many seeds collected and grown up under this name? Basically are there many different clones with the name Emu Point or just the one?
    The three "Emu Point" plants that I had provided Dennis Hastings, originated from leaf pulls that had either been grown on compost; or else, developed in vitro from that same tissue, from a single, wild-collected plant, taken legally (for the benefit of the inquisition that occasionally rears its head on TF) from the border of a parkland and cattle-grazing area. Some seed had also been collected; but those plants were never part of that initial shipment. Apparently, there had been some confusion there.

Many of my plants have produced larger than "average" pitchers; though I have still had "typical" plants, from time to time, produce 2.5-3" leaves -- more a function of age and health, in my opinion, than the provenance of any particular cultivar or clone . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 10-30-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information.

So the most correct name would be Ceph. location Emu Point, Albany AU

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Thanks for the information.

So the most correct name would be Ceph. location Emu Point, Albany AU
    Yep . . .

The labels provided Dennis were: C. follicularis "Emu Point," along with a date, referring to either when the given cutting was taken; or, in the case of one stubborn one, when it actually took, some months later.

Certainly, under Dennis' care -- as many of us were well aware -- most anything and everything could become a "giant" . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 10-30-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW; I purchased a bunch of Cephalotus seed last fall from Stephen Morely, some of which were "EB x self". They are now roughly 1 year since I planted them. The EB x self are showing a lot more colour than any of the other seedlings, and all are being grown beside each other under the same lights with the same amounts of water etc. Few pictures below (taken one month ago).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where is the Cephalotus follicularis var. BigBella giant? Will it have it a furry belly and eat small chihuahuas?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post
    Where is the Cephalotus follicularis var. BigBella giant? Will it have it a furry belly and eat small chihuahuas?
    Is there any other kind of Chihuahua?
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    FWIW; I purchased a bunch of Cephalotus seed last fall from Stephen Morely, some of which were "EB x self". They are now roughly 1 year since I planted them. The EB x self are showing a lot more colour than any of the other seedlings, and all are being grown beside each other under the same lights with the same amounts of water etc. Few pictures below (taken one month ago).
    Generally, in vitro plants are grown under diffused lighting conditions, for the somewhat obvious reason that they'd be cooked in their vials under most normal circumstances. Imagine, for a moment, the negative greenhouse effect within an airtight 40 ml vial, under T5s.

As they are slowly acclimated to ex vitro conditions, the lighting has become increased; and they will color up.

Friends who have grown, both the Eden Black plant itself as well as its "selfed" seed since 2008 or thereabouts, have commented that they've experienced large variations in terms of color, which could be attributed to both the given plant's maturity as well as regular and heavy exposure to bright light; or, most commonly, sunlight.

Those with the darkest coloration came from natural light . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 10-31-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12