What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph Eden Black X self on E-bay.

Might be something to watch, figure it will go for a ton. I know its not "that hard" to get Eden Black X open seeds now so maybe its real.

Its odd that there is not a "parent" pitcher photo, since this is a tissue culture from a seed grown plant I would think there would be an older plant around somewhere with some color. After all the real money is in the color, and even a tiny pitcher with dark coloring would drive the bids so much higher.

There are even two links to photos of other cultures but not this one.

Selling off the duds maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEPHALOTUS-...752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d9d18608

For myself, i would never trust ebay. I buy only from vendors with good reputation. If you want a eden black, ask stephen morley. He is the creator of eden black.

the ebay post is legit. the poster is bigbella, good guy, all around straight shooter in my book. it can also be reasoned that the coloration is influenced by lighting issues or that genetics is a mixed bag. maybe he will post a comment here.

Yep, bigbella is a trustable grower. And like amphirion said, a very nice person.
I didnt know it was from him.
My bad.

It is one of five clones from seed, obtained from the UK; and the provenance of the seed can be traced. I don't own the parent plant(s).

Since seed is produced sexually, some variability has been introduced into the mix; so whether the "Eden Black x Self" will breed true, will take time. Even the cultivar itself requires plenty of light. I know a few who cultivate it.

I hope to have some clones available for the 2014 NASC Auction; but the current auctions will serve to cover some increased lab overhead and other interesting projects . . .

By the way, really nice plant BigBella.

Congratulation.

For myself, i would never trust ebay. I buy only from vendors with good reputation. If you want a eden black, ask stephen morley. He is the creator of eden black.

There are a lot of good listers on E-bay, and with some digger you can usually find them tied to a CP forum. As this one turned out to be.

You just need to research them and see, I know there are some good people in the UK selling seeds that ship to the US, and more people from TF list auctions than would admit it:-)).

The real problem with Ceph variations is that without a paper trail it could be a typical and you might never know depending on the variation. I have a well grown in Emu and Big Boy that if I removed the labels I would never be able to tell them part.

It is one of five clones from seed, obtained from the UK; and the provenance of the seed can be traced. I don't own the parent plant(s).

Since seed is produced sexually, some variability has been introduced into the mix; so whether the "Eden Black x Self" will breed true, will take time. Even the cultivar itself requires plenty of light. I know a few who cultivate it.

I hope to have some clones available for the 2014 NASC Auction; but the current auctions will serve to cover some increased lab overhead and other interesting projects . . .

Thanks for the input, right now I have 2 Hummer's leaf pulls taken on the same day from the same plant that are really close in size growing right next to each other and one is nice and red the other is all green...Ceph coloration is something I just don't get yet.

Would love to see any new/old variations at the auction. Good luck with the auction!

The real problem with Ceph variations is that without a paper trail it could be a typical and you might never know depending on the variation. I have a well grown in Emu and Big Boy that if I removed the labels I would never be able to tell them part.

Thanks for the input, right now I have 2 Hummer's leaf pulls taken on the same day from the same plant that are really close in size growing right next to each other and one is nice and red the other is all green...Ceph coloration is something I just don't get yet.

Would love to see any new/old variations at the auction.

Since this was an initial launch of the "selfed" clones, it is still a bit too early to see a great deal of variation, since they've only been de-flasked since August.

As an aside, that "Emu Point" clone also originally came from me; was given to the late Dennis Hastings a few years ago; and the only reason that it was ever named at all, was that it was one of the only Cephalotus available, at least within the US, that had been site-specific. It had never been named a "giant" or anything else until much later, and certainly not by me . . .

Last edited:
Since this was a first launch of the "selfed" clones, it is a bit too early to see much variation. As an aside, that "Emu Point" clone also originally came from me and was given to the late Dennis Hastings a few years ago; and the only reason that it was even named, was that it was one of the only Cephalotus available, in the US, that had been truly site-specific. It had never been named a "giant" or anything else until later, and certainly not by me . . .

Its always good to get more information. Hopefully you can clear up a few things about the Emu Point that I was never able to get a clear answer on. Is this clone from one seed collected at Emu Point or were there many seeds collected and grown up under this name? Basically are there many different clones with the name Emu Point or just the one?

When I received my plant from Dennis it was labeled Emu Point Giant so I just kept it that way. I have noticed over the years that my Emu Point has produced larger than "typical" pitchers and a very noticeable increase in the number of leaves I get. So many leaves in fact that the last 2 leaf pull giveaways and potting up way more than I would ever want still leaves me with a few plants with 10+ leaves.

Here is the info I got from Dennis when I got my plant, he just cut and pasted it from his website. Any additional information or corrections would be greatly appreciated.

"I have added this plant as an unusual clone because of the history it was given. This plant was seed grown from a mother plant originating in the Emu point region of southern Australia. It has been said the parent plant produced pitchers as large as three inches. Since this has been seed grown, there in no way to emphatically state this plant will grow up to be a giant also. I will keep this plant updated in a set of images to let you know how it does.

I have since learned from the person I received the plant from, that the pitchers on the seed grown plants get to about 2.5 inches tall."

Its always good to get more information. Hopefully you can clear up a few things about the Emu Point that I was never able to get a clear answer on. Is this clone from one seed collected at Emu Point or were there many seeds collected and grown up under this name? Basically are there many different clones with the name Emu Point or just the one?

The three "Emu Point" plants that I had provided Dennis Hastings, originated from leaf pulls that had either been grown on compost; or else, developed in vitro from that same tissue, from a single, wild-collected plant, taken legally (for the benefit of the inquisition that occasionally rears its head on TF) from the border of a parkland and cattle-grazing area. Some seed had also been collected; but those plants were never part of that initial shipment. Apparently, there had been some confusion there.

Many of my plants have produced larger than "average" pitchers; though I have still had "typical" plants, from time to time, produce 2.5-3" leaves -- more a function of age and health, in my opinion, than the provenance of any particular cultivar or clone . . .

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

So the most correct name would be Ceph. location Emu Point, Albany AU

Thanks for the information.

So the most correct name would be Ceph. location Emu Point, Albany AU

Yep . . .

The labels provided Dennis were: C. follicularis "Emu Point," along with a date, referring to either when the given cutting was taken; or, in the case of one stubborn one, when it actually took, some months later.

Certainly, under Dennis' care -- as many of us were well aware -- most anything and everything could become a "giant" . . .

Last edited:
FWIW; I purchased a bunch of Cephalotus seed last fall from Stephen Morely, some of which were "EB x self". They are now roughly 1 year since I planted them. The EB x self are showing a lot more colour than any of the other seedlings, and all are being grown beside each other under the same lights with the same amounts of water etc. Few pictures below (taken one month ago).

Where is the Cephalotus follicularis var. BigBella giant? Will it have it a furry belly and eat small chihuahuas? :grin:

Where is the Cephalotus follicularis var. BigBella giant? Will it have it a furry belly and eat small chihuahuas? :grin:

Is there any other kind of Chihuahua? :)

FWIW; I purchased a bunch of Cephalotus seed last fall from Stephen Morely, some of which were "EB x self". They are now roughly 1 year since I planted them. The EB x self are showing a lot more colour than any of the other seedlings, and all are being grown beside each other under the same lights with the same amounts of water etc. Few pictures below (taken one month ago).

Generally, in vitro plants are grown under diffused lighting conditions, for the somewhat obvious reason that they'd be cooked in their vials under most normal circumstances. Imagine, for a moment, the negative greenhouse effect within an airtight 40 ml vial, under T5s.

As they are slowly acclimated to ex vitro conditions, the lighting has become increased; and they will color up.

Friends who have grown, both the Eden Black plant itself as well as its "selfed" seed since 2008 or thereabouts, have commented that they've experienced large variations in terms of color, which could be attributed to both the given plant's maturity as well as regular and heavy exposure to bright light; or, most commonly, sunlight.

Those with the darkest coloration came from natural light . . .

Last edited:
Back