Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USDA Permit Madness

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wording is not an option on the online forms so I doubt they'll accept it on the paper forms. You can try it but don't blame me if the forms come back unapproved or rejected and you have to wait another 30 days reapplying.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm - don't recall the snail-mail option - I thought everyone had to go to an office.

You'll get your paperwork back and find out you still need to go
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I listed every country I could even think of possibly importing plants from on my paperwork. Same as genera, my list is huge. I just wanted to cover all bases.
    i left out orchids and neps because of the CITES issues figured it wasn't worth it, but shotgunned everything else

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    i left out orchids and neps because of the CITES issues figured it wasn't worth it, but shotgunned everything else
    Neps seeds are CITIES II #4 except 2 species which are still CITIES I so seeds are fair game and have been for a while except those 2 species. I just noticed pollen is included in #4, did not see that last year.

You have been able to mail off permits for years it just takes a lot longer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify since this is a murky area of the law.

valid from 12 June 2013

Nepenthes spp. #4 (Except the species included in Appendix I)

Once you click on the link for the #4 you get

#4 All parts and derivatives, except:
    a) seeds (including seedpods of Orchidaceae), spores and pollen (including pollinia). The exemption does not apply to seeds from Cactaceae spp. exported from Mexico, and to seeds from Beccariophoenix madagascariensis and Neodypsis decaryi exported from Madagascar;
    b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
    c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants;
    d) fruits, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla (Orchidaceae) and of the family Cactaceae;
    e) stems, flowers, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genera Opuntia subgenus Opuntia and Selenicereus (Cactaceae); and
    f) finished products of Euphorbia antisyphilitica packaged and ready for retail trade.

Appendix I species are Nepenthes khasiana and Nepenthes rajah.

It looks like you can Fax the form also! So you can mail it or fax it, but you can not e-mail it. If you want to use the website you have to visit a physical building first!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got around to finishing off the 587 and its going in the mail today.

Listed on the back of the 587 forum under #3 for seeds it says "If the list of species and/or countries of origin is long, you may enter 'eligible taxa.'"

So under country of origin I did. Lets see what I get back in a month. According to the statement above you could submit eligible taxa under both species and countries, allowing you to impost anything eligible from anywhere with one simply line. Something to try later when I get around to the vegetable 587.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure that when you fill out the PPQ form that you find where it says "phytosanitary exempt" under ssl. You can get the one without, more applicable to plants, and if you get stuff in they may tell you that it does not cover those, and you cannot get a phyto after the fact. But they might let you reapply...Best to get what you need. Lots of the permits cover many actions, and your best bet (I think) is to find a station with good customer service. Then you can call and ask questions prior to importing - maybe. And check on stuff for arrival if they are cool with that. I recomment the Los Angeles Hawthorne station.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think we are talking about different forms, there is no "phytosanitary" on this form, I'm just after the small seed lot permit. I'm not intending to import anything that requires a cert. I looked through the CITIES stuff this morning and was surprised at the lack of CPs on the list. Most of the stuff on the list was CITIES II #4 (seeds allowed without certs).

Either way, its out of my hands and into the postal service.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast