User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Beef with Perlite?

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Beef with Perlite?

I have read for a while on various boards that many people dislike perlite as a planting media. Some of this is personal I am sure (I hate vermiculite for nary a good reason), but I am curious about why other growers dislike the aforementioned amendment.

I have had better luck with perlite than sand in my CP pots, but I only had fine grade sugar-looking silica available. This year I have found some coarser stuff to use: a bit of personal inquire, I suppose.

Your thoughts?
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It floats and I have to order it. Thats my only problem with it. I'd actually prefer a peat/sand/perlite mix but, again, I have to order perlite.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting: I have a pretty easy time finding perlite, but the appropriate grade of silica is a toughy for me. I have decided to hit up sand blasting services in the area tomorrow to hopefully find the good stuff.

Where do you procure your silica sand?

Also, the floating is a pain. Agreed.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find the perfect grade of silica sand anywhere that sells swimming pool supplies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home Depot usually carries the pool sand. You might have to check with several stores, some have it some don't. To a mention of vermiculite...in the south of my hometown there is a previously industrial area that has been turned into a art complex with apartments, galleries, a brewpub, bar, etc. One area there was called the silos, as it oddly enough was full of smallish storage silos, and these were rented out to artists. On that site a prior tenant was manufacturing vermiculite and had processed tons or rock that contained asbestos. Many years later is was, "Whoopsie, this area is contaminated, must be fenced off, eventually remediated" and that ended up being basically covering it up with concrete.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I mix up my peat/sand/perlite/whatever mix, by the time I get to the bottom of the bucket its 50% perlite...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as I don't have it in anything that gets flooded, I like perlite. One big hassle is washing it though.
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am "anti-perlite", for CP-use, for four reasons:

1. newbies to the hobby sometimes think they need it, (because they read they need it)
    so they get perlite with fertilizer added, because they dont know any better, and they poison their plants.

and I dont use it myself because:

2. It floats to the top.
    3. It's ugly.
    4. I cant think of any benefit to using it.

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast