User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade Your Sand!

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grade Your Sand!

I have mentioned in other threads how hard silica sand is to find in my area: none at Lowe's nor the gravel yard even. I have found pool filter sand at a few pool supply places, but all but one only sell the ultra-fine grade sugary-looking stuff.

As I continue my search for usable silica sand, it would be helpful to know which grade of sand the collective you uses. I know courser is better, but what is the coarsest grade you can typically find?

Another question, too, if you have the time: where the heck does one find sand blasting supplies? I have this hunch that a store selling such materials would have the course sand for which I am looking.
    Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 11-18-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Blasted grammar errors
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what grade my sand is but I use the silica filter sand from Leslie's Pool Supply, if that helps in any way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.quikrete.com/productlines...rcialGrade.asp
    coarse to medium grade. fine sand will end up becoming a solid rock on the bottom of the pot.
    http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/DATA_SH...de%20Sands.pdf

NO #2/12
    http://www.cemexusa.com/ProductsServ...altySands.aspx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U use a #1 graqde Blasting sand that I get at a somewhat local concrete business. It costs me about $18 for a 100 lb bag. I also had a hard time finding a usable sand and a local grower turned me on to this stuff.

Growlist
    IN HOC

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @lil hokie: I bet that is the stuff I found at the one pool shop that sells courser stuff. Glad to hear it works for you! That gives me confidence.

@kula: That is the Quikrete stuff I have been searching for! No one around me carries that evidently. Plenty of Quikrete concrete mix, though.

@Monkey: Righteous lead, my friend. You say that is a local concrete company, i.e. a place that pours for contract? We have a local concrete company with trucks and the whole bit... perhaps I will hit them up.
    Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 11-18-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Autocorrect's "autocorrecting"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly right, my friend. They usually have several different type of sand that they use and are usually very willing to sell.
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For reasons I just don't understand the chain hardware stores do not sale coarse/medium sand down here in TX, you may have the same issues. I was able to find the same sand at the chain pool stores for 4X the price. While we were moving down here we bought a few hundred pounds in OK and dragged it down here. So if you cross a state border check there stores.

I've had much better luck with Bonsai nurseries, most of the Japanese are moving to inorganic mixes and when they move over the rest of the world runs off the cliff with them. So I've been able to get a few different materials, silica sand (larger than the pool sand), and lava rock 3/16-5/16 (really like this stuff). They will have the larger particle sizes and is usually pre shifted but it costs more.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once hauled a bucket of sand from a local creek. Very heavy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast