What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my vintage plants and reptiles...

Hey all,

I've had an awesome experience to be a lapidary for 5 years and learn the trade. Working with rocks I had been gifted a different perspective simply by the vastness of the material available. I gathered a very small sampling of some of the terra I worked on. Enjoy!

Dinosaur Bone, Utah. This material is probably the most interesting material to work with because of the shades and variation in the vein/cell structure.

Dino Bone.

Palm root. Very cool patterns. Sometimes you'll find pyrite within the structure giving it a metallic look too.

Tuscarora Redwood. The best is when you find termite holes and other aberrations in the wood that are preserved.

Texas Agate. These rocks tend to have "plumes". This one really looks like flowing plants in an ocean, it's completely mineral though.

Mary Ellen Jasper. This stuff takes the cake. Its petrified stromatolites that date back 3.4ish billion years. They are essentially life's ancestors on the planet. Tons of this material floated around in the primordial sea and created the O2 en mass that allowed life to form. Thanks algae!

Hope you enjoy!

Awesome! Particularly loved the dino bones and palm root.

That's so beautiful!

I am bewildered and amazed by this. I greatly appreciate you sharing; how beautiful all of these are!

It is so awesome to see what an eclectic range of interest exists on this board and a few others I frequent. Living in a rather small and colloquial area where everyone sees, thinks, and feels the same, it is great to see such variance in interests abroad... or should I say "a 'board'".

Again, thanks!

Woooooowww. Amazing stuff. Those are some of the coolest polished materials I have ever seen anywhere!

HA HA Sweet - I love calling fossils "vintage"! :lol:

Back