Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expanding the collection, have some more questions

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've grown Drosera capensis before and it seemed to be "droopy" when I got it from a store, since it was dry. After a few days and giving it more water, it perked up and grew fairly straight. Is there dew on the leaves? If there isn't then it could be due to a lack of humidity, although capensis seems to be able to tolerate lower humidity. As leaves get older it is normal for them to sag downwards. I wouldn't be too worried about it if the new leaves have dew and don't droop downward.
    Separating the Utricularia sandersonii should help them spread throughout the pot, although if your growing conditions are favorable then they should have no problem spreading through the pot even bunched up like that. When I bought mine it was already spread out but it hasn't spread out much. I don't think you need to worry about the plants being too crowded, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    I've grown Drosera capensis before and it seemed to be "droopy" when I got it from a store, since it was dry. After a few days and giving it more water, it perked up and grew fairly straight. Is there dew on the leaves? If there isn't then it could be due to a lack of humidity, although capensis seems to be able to tolerate lower humidity. As leaves get older it is normal for them to sag downwards. I wouldn't be too worried about it if the new leaves have dew and don't droop downward.
    Separating the Utricularia sandersonii should help them spread throughout the pot, although if your growing conditions are favorable then they should have no problem spreading through the pot even bunched up like that. When I bought mine it was already spread out but it hasn't spread out much. I don't think you need to worry about the plants being too crowded, though.
    There is dew on the leaves. This is pretty much my first sundew so I don't know if it's a normal amount of dew or if they generally develop more or not. But, there is some dew visible.

The U. Sandersonii immediately reminded me of an aquatic plant I have, Hemianthus Callitrichoides. Whenever I receive a clump of HC I separate it into smaller sections because it allows it to grow in and cover the area better.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Nepenthes should be fine even though you pulled that leaf out. Personally I would leave the half-dried pitchers on the plant until they turn almost completely brown because maybe the plant could still use them to photosynthesize, although I'm not sure if Nepenthes actually photosynthesizes from the pitchers.
    I'm not sure about the Drosera capensis. If the leaves are normal otherwise and there is dew I'd assume there is no problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks everyone I think that pretty much covers the questions I had.

I do have a few questions about winter dormancy though. Im looking into orering a few sarracenia. Im gonna do my best to wait out most of the winter but Ill admit I do lack patience when it comes to some things. I can patiently wait a year for a plant to recover from shipping or transplant shock, but holding off on ordering one im interested in can be a different story haha.

So I was initially thinking that I could maybe stick whatever I ordered in the fridge but that doesnt look like a possibility. No room. And theres some concern about the plants being in with food.

So for most Sarrs what temp range do they have to stay in to remain in dormancy. Our garage has a window that gets some southeastern sunlight. However, the house leaks some heat into the garage so it probably wont drop below 40 even on the colder winter days. Im not sure what the warmer days will get up to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the garage may get up to around 60 in warmer temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know what species of Sarracenia you will be getting? I would say that they would be fine in your garage, as long as you make sure that their soil doesn't dry out. Another option might be to grow them outside all year, depending on where you live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BioZest View Post
    Do you know what species of Sarracenia you will be getting? I would say that they would be fine in your garage, as long as you make sure that their soil doesn't dry out. Another option might be to grow them outside all year, depending on where you live.
    I'm not sure yet. I'd like to get a few different species and I'm kind of assuming some won't be tolerant of the winter here. I live in southern CT right along the shore of Long Island sound. Borderline zone 6 and 7. We tend to get some pretty good snowfalls and prolonged temps below freezing.

I think my concerns with the garage would be lighting and the temp coming up too high and the plant coming out of dormancy early. My lighting concern is that while the window does face mostly south it's light does get blocked by the house next door for a good chunk of the day.

EDIT: Ok just had a thought, lighting may not be so much of a concern. I think I have an extra 8.5" brooder lamp sitting around somewhere. I could probably find a place to mount it near the window and slap a 23w 6500k bulb in there and run it for a few hours in the morning when the sun gets blocked the most, or near sunset for some added lighting time.
    Last edited by Axelrod12; 12-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. pupurea is native to the North Eastern US, so you could grow that outside, though you might have problems with other species. I'm not sure about the temps, but I would think that 40-50 (ish) would be enough to keep them in dormancy. Sarracenia need a shorter photoperiod during dormancy, so using an extra light may be unnecessary. Do you approx. the amount of sunlight the windowsill gets per day?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast