What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FYI PetCo having $1 a gallon aquarium sale

I stopped in at PetCo today to check out the local price for aquarium silicone and discovered that they are, indeed, having a $1 a gallon sale for aquariums, until supplies run out or Jan 20th (?). Just thought I'd pass this info along to anyone looking to burn a little post-holiday cash on a new terrarium/aquarium. Definitely cheaper for me to get a new one than replace the panel in my old one.

thanks a lot. unfortunately this only goes up to 50 gallons, right? i need a 75 :(

Unfortunately, the largest mine had was 40 gallons. And, it wasn't a "tall" 40 gallons, i.e. about a foot and a half, instead of two. Definitely wider than tall.

As far as I saw, there were 5, 10, 20, 29, and 40 gallon tanks. There might be others at different PetCos.

From the dart frog forums they say Petco runs this sale every 3-4 months and if your planning on actually using these tanks as aquariums many of them recommend applying an additional bead of silicone on top of the "factory" bead as enough people have reported leaks to justify a warning. For CP usage this is probably not as big a deal, just passing it along.

Also I just found out last week they have put the 36" X 18" X 18" Exo Terra on sale on black Friday the last 2 years for $89 in 2012 and $99 in 2013. Wish I would have know about this during the sale :-(. Atleast I know to check next year.

"Choose from 10G, 20G, 29G, 40G and 55G aquariums" and "Valid Dec. 26 - Jan. 25" from the Petco ad.

Unfortunately, the largest mine had was 40 gallons. And, it wasn't a "tall" 40 gallons, i.e. about a foot and a half, instead of two. Definitely wider than tall.

As far as I saw, there were 5, 10, 20, 29, and 40 gallon tanks. There might be others at different PetCos.

That's typically what they have for the sale. Mine used to have 55's as well but I haven't seen them for the past sales or two. I haven't gone yet for this sale, but I'm sure I'll be there in the next day or two. Some other petcos may still carry them for the sale.

Gotta hit an outta the way Petco, the one by me is really only known to the folks in my town so they have all the sizes in stock each time the $1 per gallon sale goes on. They haven't run the sale at my petco since last spring sometime, I go there weekly for crickets and I always look for the sale. I'm tempted but have no place for another tank... dammit!

Yes, the 40 gallon tanks are always the "40G Breeder" size, nice tanks for things that don't get over about 8-12" tall (once you put a false bottom & substrate in there).

Doesn't Craigslist usually run a 50¢ per gallon sale year round?

The frog people are saying not all the Petcos are advertising the sale but its on there website so they are honoring it, a few have gotten rain checks for the out of stock sizes. Also, a few have reported that there local Petsmart and Petlands are doing the same $1 a gallon sale.

Doesn't Craigslist usually run a 50¢ per gallon sale year round?

I wish. It is very dependent on the area you are in. Around here tanks are usually $2-3 per gallon. More if they are trying to sell it with any sort of equipment. Occasionally I can find someone reasonable who is more in the $1-2 per gallon range.

As I recall you need to be a "Pals" member to take advantage of these prices.

Pals membership is free, and I put in fake details, my card is registered to You You LOL

Well just so you know beforehand. They wouldn't sign me up for Pals at the register at my local Petco - I had to go to the customer service desk. Forget that, if they don't want my money...

At mine they just gave me the card & the tiny one to put on my car key ring and said "fill it out and mail it in (postage paid)" so that's what I did.
I only have the one on my key ring. So far only this one kid I always chat with is the only one to notice the name is You You. LOL

At the Albertson's (supermarket) they gave me a card and form to fill out at the register. I never mailed the form in but the card is activated.

I have a few of these cards and I've never mailed in a one, they all work just fine. I've always gotten them at the register and used it right then and threw out the mailing parts :-))

Guess you hit a mean Petco.

I wish. It is very dependent on the area you are in. Around here tanks are usually $2-3 per gallon. More if they are trying to sell it with any sort of equipment. Occasionally I can find someone reasonable who is more in the $1-2 per gallon range.

Yeah, it's about $1 a gallon in Northern New England.

I think you do have to be a "Pals" member for the sale prices, but it's free, and I just told them I forgot my card so they ended up using the store card.

At my local Petco I just bought a 29 gallon tank upgrade for my petiolaris 'dews for, you guessed it - $29. It's happening again!

At my local Petco I just bought a 29 gallon tank upgrade for my petiolaris 'dews for, you guessed it - $29. It's happening again!

Woohoo! I've been waiting for this to come around again, I missed the last couple, thanks for posting the heads up.

I believe it's a quarterly sale. One is always in late December-January. (This year it's Dec. 28 - Jan. 24).

There was also a sale in late Sept./Early Oct. as well as one near the end of July, I believe. I'm not sure about the spring one, but, based on the pattern, I'd guess late March/early April.

They used to hold these sales a lot more often, I'm at Petco weekly to get crickets for my critters and it's been a long time since they had this sale going on.

Wish I had room, a 40 gallon breeder for $40 is such a nice price.

Back