User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Traditional Pots

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative to Traditional Pots

Being exceptionally "frugal" (read: meticulously cheap), I have been considering options for repotting this spring. I want to take down several community plantings/mini-bogs and pot out a bunch of Sarracenia separately. I was just about to purchase a bunch of pots from a vendor online when I considered an alternative: foam cups. I have read on other forums that some use these exclusively for Dionaea, and I have even used them for said genus with great success. In fact, all of my Dionaea are currently potted in large, cheap foam coolers.

My lingering question then: how will tall (large) foam cups work for Sarracenia? Anybody have any experience here? The largest rhizomes of course would need larger containers.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like they would end up being top heavy and therefore unstable, if the tray they are in has tallish sides though, I don't see a problem. I use styrofoam on almost all of my outdoor CPs to protect the soil from over heating in our high altitude desert sun.
    Growlist
    IN HOC

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    I feel like they would end up being top heavy and therefore unstable, if the tray they are in has tallish sides though, I don't see a problem. I use styrofoam on almost all of my outdoor CPs to protect the soil from over heating in our high altitude desert sun.
    Exactly. The foam has many benefits. I will be using tall trays, too, so the top heaviness should be negated.

Time to start chugging the 44 oz. diabetes-inducing Cokes from the gas station then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a case of 500 32oz Dart foam cups at sams club for less than $20. They probably have the 44 oz as well, I don't go often.
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will investigate tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes, the local grocery stores have them in stock for cheap, as well.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a typical fast food place 32 oz cup, with holes poked in at the bottom:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proof is in the pudding! Thanks, Jim and everyone. I bought a big case of 32 ouncers and plan on grabbing some sixteens for smaller rhizomes.

I will post some pics when potting time happens around.

Thanks again.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast