What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's Tony??

Tony will be back to take care of our (obsessively unhealthy) need for new Nepenthes before long!

Paul

I think this is totally exemplified by the existence of this thread. :lol:

I still can't stop myself from visiting his website. Obsessive...100%

Glad to hear he's okay. I was really getting worried...

Just came across this thread -- glad to hear Tony is OK, and thanks to Whimgrinder!

His site's been updated to say "Closed. Will provide more details later."

Hopefully he's ok and this is just temporary. Otherwise we may have a widespread panic state on our hands...

His site's been updated to say "Closed. Will provide more details later."

Hopefully he's ok and this is just temporary. Otherwise we may have a widespread panic state on our hands...

That doesn't sound very "temporary" to me.
Whatever the case, my best wishes to Tony; his well-being is the only important thing.

I agree completely, Paul.
The reservation page says "Closed for now," which suggests temporary.

I'm afraid I have some unpleasant news. No, its not Tony - he's fine, so not to worry. However.....this is a sad tale about cultivating tropical plants in a cold climate like NY state in the winter. You best sit down, folks.

I just got off the phone with Tony and here’s the deal: his gas company stopped filling his propane tanks late in November, and DIDN’T TELL HIM! (He was paying through automatic debiting, so its not like he was missing bills or anything) Well, last night its minus 15F at his place, and the propane tanks run empty. A neighbor informs him that there is no exhaust coming from the greenhouse stoves, so he goes to investigate, and the propane heaters had been out for hours. Hours. Everything froze. It was cold enough that even buckets of water had formed ice on top. You can imagine what that does to Nepenthes. Tony says it looks like a sea of wilted brown lettuce in there today.

Tomorrow he is meeting with insurance and gas company personnel to find out what they can/will do for him. However, he finds this deeply disappointing and is not going to make any hard decisions about his intentions for a while, at least until he can determine what, if anything, survived. Can’t say I blame him, of course. Its not the monetary value of the plants - its the personal investment of love and time and effort to get to where he did. Insurance can’t redeem that.

I think its safe to say that if you have pre-orders with Tony for plants, that all bets are off right now. So, please don't nag him about plants you've been wanting to buy or trying to order - odds are that's not going to happen, at least in the foreseeable future. I'm sure he needs some time to get his head around this. :-(

That said, I'm sure he wouldn't object to hearing from appreciative customers and friends offering a supportive greeting - should you feel a need to say anything at all, that is.
Paul

What terrible news! I can't even imagine what he's feeling right now. I'll be sure to send him a note of support.
Sadly, something similar happened to one of Dean Cook's greenhouses earlier this winter.
Thanks for the info, Paul.

Wow. That's a disaster. Both for Tony and for the hobby.

If he ever wants to start repopulating his greenhouse I'd be happy to send him cuttings. I'm sure many other members would too.

Wow. That's a disaster. Both for Tony and for the hobby.

If he ever wants to start repopulating his greenhouse I'd be happy to send him cuttings. I'm sure many other members would too.

It is indeed a tragedy for the community as a whole, but most of all for Tony. I've told him that when/if he decides he wants to resume growing Nepenthes, that he's welcome to pieces of anything I can spare. But Tony won't likely make any big decisions for months yet, so there's no need to rush into making specific offers. He's going to watch to see if there are any survivors.... :-(

Two growers in one winter - and only a few weeks apart, even. How sad, how upsetting.

wow thats horrible....

This is really sad news. :( I hope he's able to get everything back up and running as quickly as possible. Knowing Tony, it's going to take a while. Even if he's able to restock quickly, he won't send any plants out until they are established and he's happy with the health of them. He's had plants I've been waiting over a year for but won't ship to me.

Thanks for the info, Paul. Good luck Tony!!!

wow wow... That sucks big time. I've lost about 1/3 a greenhouse of HL Nepenthes when my cooler went down and things cooked at above 150f which was really really super frustrating. To lose likely the whole greenhouse which is much bigger than mine with many more plants that me which are much nicer than mine... I can't even imagine. Hang in there man and when the time comes, let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Andrew

Thanks for the update, as horrid as it may be. Paul, you seem to be in good contact with Tony so please let him know if you talk again that quite a few of us here are willing to do what we can for him. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for him. :(

Such unhappy news...I've been a customer for many years, and Tony is what my wife calls "a good man". He's a class act and has always been
ready to help with my questions/growing problems. I hope he can recover quickly. This is a sad day.

Whimgrinder -- thanks again for keeping us informed.

This is the most incredible tragedy in the world of Nepenthes since the wildfires of Borneo...

Thanks for keeping us posted Whim.

My most sincere condolences and best wishes go out to you Tony. This is a hit for all of us. You are a pillar of the Nepenthes hobby in North America.

R.I.P. :cry:

I'm very sorry to hear about this Tony! :( If you ever need help, feel free to ask. . . your Nepenthes service's mean the world to us.

:( i havent been around much to see this news.... im in complete shock. what a massive blow to the hobby and community.

Back