Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DavidA's plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Are you sure? It was sold to me as such, and it says it's sphagnum on the box.

I recently bought Zoomed NZ Sphagnum:

http://imgur.com/a/Vx1qZ

I think that's the right stuff. It definitely looks like the NZ Sphagnum that was wrapped around some plants I recently got. As an aside, I've tried to get this stuff to regenerate into live LFS without much luck so far. It may be pre-washed by Zoomed, and if so, you'll likely need to wash it with RO water before using it. But then again, I washed it by habit and might have washed off all the spores LFS would regenerate from...

There are cheaper sources of NZ Sphagnum. That was $16 for 150g locally, whereas online you can get NZ Sphagnum for $16 for 500g. Not sure if I can link the gardening supply store I'm going to snag NZ Sphagnum from, though.
    Last edited by mcantrell; 01-04-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure? It was sold to me as such, and it says it's sphagnum on the box.

Definitely not sphagnum. Try your local big box home improvement store, for a local source, though that won't be NZ sphagnum. Should be around $4. Otherwise, reputable CP dealers often have live sphagnum for sale. I'm guessing FlyTrapShop does, but I don't know if it's listed. You can always PM Andrew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that's disappointing.

They have two bags of sphagnum moss at the Home Depot here, one from Mosser Lee that is full of leaves and twigs, and one from Better-Gro. Its labeled as Orchid Moss, but on the back it says 100% Chilean blonde sphagnum moss. It's $4.50.

Have you guys ever had any experience with this brand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their website indicates that it's just sphagnum, with no additives. http://sunbulb.com/info/?page_id=454

An important thing to look for when buying sphagnum is to make sure that it doesn't say that it has additives, typically fertilizers, as, although CPs do appreciate some fertilization, they only like certain ones, and probably not the ones added to the sphagnum.

Personally, I'd go with the Better-Gro, over the Mosser Lee, if that looks cleaner and doesn't have additives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice plants, good improvement from your first picts to your last ones. Well done !!
    Maiden

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you guys ever had any experience with this brand?
    Yes. The Chilean moss is always my go to if I run out of the New Zealand stuff. Not quite as good as New Zealand but leagues above Mosser Lee. Stay away from the Mosser Lee as well, it's junk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I'll grab some tomorrow morning. I'm going to give growing this stuff a go first, and if it doesn't sprout I'll order some live LFS and use this as a bed to grow it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Very nice plants, good improvement from your first picts to your last ones. Well done !!
    Thanks! The only difference is a better camera, a day of sun and I snipped a dead trap from the VFT. The only other plant I've ever tried to grow was a lima bean in kindergarten, and it was dead by morning (I think I overwatered it). So far this is a record for how long I've been able to keep plants alive :P.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't even bother trying to do anything with that stuff you bought. It will not regrow, won't support live sphagnum and is lethal to cp's. Just toss it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast