Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DavidA's plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DavidA's plants

Hey guys, Dave here and I'm just starting out my CP collection. Got them in yesterday, so I thought I'd share some pics.

My typical Dionaea:

I ended up trimming off the black trap in the back right. It had two small traps trying to grow in underneath it, and they need sun too. Also, it seems to have come with a stowaway, what looks like a small D. Capensis seedling (not shown). It was pretty smushed by the packing, but I used a small pin to peel it away from the soil medium, blew on it a bit to dry it off, and it seems to have perked back up. The leaves on it are kind of a pale white-ish green, so I'm wondering if it's an alba capensis. I know capensii are pretty much the weeds of the CP world, but it would be cool to try to grow it more and have a freebie. I'll try to get a pic of it tonight when I get off of work.

My D. capensis:

This Capensis came with a tag that said "DORMANT", and it does look like it is, but I find it odd that it is, but my VFT is not.

I kept them inside overnight, it was rainy with high wind gusts and I don't want them getting knocked over.

I transferred them to my front porch this morning. This is not a permanent spot for them. I put them there because I want to ease them into getting sun, and there are still some high winds (20 mph with 30 mph gusts) going here. I also put them on a bucket so when I walk my dog he doesn't try to mark them (I'm 99% sure that that would be bad).

You can actually see the little capensis in the VFT pot, towards the near edge, just left of the center.

And here is a view of the sunrise they get to see:

That's it for now. I'm going to buy some bigger glazed ceramic pots for them tonight to give them a more permanent home, I'm just waiting for them to get some sun and perk up a bit. Being in a sunless box for a few days was stress enough, I don't want to overdo it by transplanting them yet.

I do have one question though, should I let my VFT go dormant? I plan to keep it outside, but I'm just concerned it may be too late into the season to do that, and the weather here in FL is a little unstable. It will be 80F (27C) with 90% humidity one day (yesterday), and 52F (11C) and 40% humidity the next.

I'm a proud new papa!
    Last edited by DavidA; 01-03-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got some better, more clear pics from a camera not in a cell phone :P.

My VFT:

My D. capensis:

The little unidentified seedling:

And some Sphagnum I am trying to revive:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics David! D. capensis is looking great. As for the Mystery seedling, its probably a child of the capensis. Congrats on your new plants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man! I think you're right about the seedling, but I'm hoping it's an alba variety (the nursery also sold those too). The tentacles and the mucilage glands at the end appear to be a whiteish clear, but I do not know if they only get the red coloration as they mature or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants look good but, that's not sphagnum. Get rid of that stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Plants look good but, that's not sphagnum. Get rid of that stuff.
    Are you sure? It was sold to me as such, and it says it's sphagnum on the box.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zoo Med does have sphagnum but that's not it. I don't know why they claim it is on the box but I assure you that it isn't. I'm not sure exactly what species it is (probably one of the "evergreen mosses") but , that stuff will be certain death for cp's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is more like what you want: http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Labora...+sphagnum+moss.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast