Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Axelrod's CP adventures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could go to a craft store and see if they have any large hole punches about the right size. I believe they should be in the papercrafting section. That would save you a lot of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    You could go to a craft store and see if they have any large hole punches about the right size. I believe they should be in the papercrafting section. That would save you a lot of work.
    Maybe, I'll have to go to the craft store anyways for the mesh so I can check while I'm there.

The seedling tray is styrofoam so maybe there is something I can stick into the tray through the mesh that will work but not leech anything into the water as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would super glue work? A lot of people use it in aquariums to secure rhizomes and rocks in place. Personally I've never done it so I'm not sure if there's a specific brand that has to be used or not.

EDIT: oh and what size mesh would be good, if it matters? I think I have some with 1/8" openings, and I guess I could always cut away a small hole in the middle of each section. I'm thinking more for root growth than drainage, the foam is 2" deep but I have no idea how big Sarr roots could get while they're in the tray.
    Last edited by Axelrod12; 01-08-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super glue melts styrofoam, fyi. (I had a very expensive kite that when I was 12 which quickly dissipated after being "repaired" with super glue)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    Super glue melts styrofoam, fyi. (I had a very expensive kite that when I was 12 which quickly dissipated after being "repaired" with super glue)
    Ok no to superglue, I'll probably end up with the silicone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants arrived today. I got a VFT and a Sarr already potted from the seller. I also order 4 bare root Sarr rhizomes. They came in various sizes. I have 4" pots that are 3" deep for them, I don't know that this will be enough for a couple of them though. One of them has a rhizome that is about 3" long, roots that reach the bottom of the pot and stems coming off it in a 3"x4" area. I'm not sure if I should go looking for bigger pots?

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deeper is better for Sarracenia in my experience, but many say that shallower pots create large pitchers. *shrugs* This year I am repotting into 32 oz styrofoam cups. Not the prettiest, but they are uniform and offer heat buffering. Plus, I will have them in large trays to keep them from toppling over.

They will live in the pots you have for sure. If you decide to go with what you have it should cause no problems. If you can find deeper pots somewhere, though, I would recommend them. 6" deep would be a good number to look for.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Corey, The pots were supposed to be 4" deep, they ended up being 3.5". I'll probably look for bigger pots and try to repot them, everything local seems to be shut down until March or low on stock though, even Lowe's and Home Depot.

Now picture time, with one question.

So first the picture that spawns the question:

In the pot of the VFT there are a couple little Drosera. I have the pot outside in the garage for winter dormancy, where temps will range anywhere from 45F-60F until winter is over. I have no idea what species of Drosera they are but I would like for them to pull through and grow larger. Should I attempt to remove them from the VFT pot and move them somewhere else or will they be ok until the VFT comes out of dormancy and the weather warms.

Now just pics, nothing much exciting since I assume everything is dormant:

Dionaea m. 'B-52 x Ginormous':

S. leucophylla:

And four unidentified Sarr rhizomes, the first two pics are of the big one that I think may really be pushing the limits of that pot:

And a quick shot of all 4:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast