User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Axelrod's CP adventures

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The largest is indeed pushing the boundaries of that pot, but it wouldn't die in it. It is best to plant in pots that allow for at least two season's growth as your other three pots do. You could probably squeeze one season out of the big Sarr's current pot, but I bet that would be the max. Now that I have seen pics, I would leave the smaller three alone and upsize the big guy.

How old is that vft? Is it dormant per the seller? It looks quite yong and non-dormant to me. In the temps you mentioned this is probably a non-issue, but sudden changes to growing conditions can jarr those little guys some. Just some food for thought. I am sure more seasoned folks could chime in here.

Great lookng plants, by the way! Awesome stuff. I especially like all the red on those Sarr rhizomes: it makes me think you will have a colorful growing season.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got your VFT's from the same place I did. Mine came with a D. capensis, but I think mine is an alba. It looks like mine does but with red tentacles. You probably either have the narrow leaf or red leaf variety, who knows maybe both. They probably let their capenses flower and seed and don't do much about it. Hey, gotta love a freebie!

It looks like you have 4 of them in your B52 x Ginormous too. Believe it or not the capensis is actually recognized in New Zealand as an intrusive weed.

I say let them grow for a bit before transplanting them. It should be easier to handle that way.

Looks good man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    How old is that vft? Is it dormant per the seller? It looks quite yong and non-dormant to me. In the temps you mentioned this is probably a non-issue, but sudden changes to growing conditions can jarr those little guys some. Just some food for thought. I am sure more seasoned folks could chime in here.
    From what I've read VFT's make smaller traps that stay close to the ground during dormancy (well, most do. some cultivars don't even make traps during the winter). They stay close to the ground so that they are less exposed to potentially freezing air during the winter in the Green Swamp. The traps are small, because growing big ones require energy, which the VFT tries to store rather than spend while dormant.
    Last edited by DavidA; 01-10-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: wrote summer instead of winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    The largest is indeed pushing the boundaries of that pot, but it wouldn't die in it. It is best to plant in pots that allow for at least two season's growth as your other three pots do. You could probably squeeze one season out of the big Sarr's current pot, but I bet that would be the max. Now that I have seen pics, I would leave the smaller three alone and upsize the big guy.

Great lookng plants, by the way! Awesome stuff. I especially like all the red on those Sarr rhizomes: it makes me think you will have a colorful growing season.
    Ok I'll look for one larger pot for the big one. I'm not sure if I fully understand the forum rules yet but I don't think I can state the seller here. They are very reputable from what I understand though. Not sure of the age, the site just states that they haven't grown any to maturity yet. I was actually wondering about the dormancy with the VFT though, it looked a little too...alive to me lol. If it's not dormant I suppose I could bring it inside to the terrarium?

And I hope I've got some colorful Sarrs there. They came in a grab bag type deal so I have no idea what they are, I'm excited to see them pitcher and get some IDs.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    You got your VFT's from the same place I did. Mine came with a D. capensis, but I think mine is an alba. It looks like mine does but with red tentacles. You probably either have the narrow leaf or red leaf variety, who knows maybe both. They probably let their capenses flower and seed and don't do much about it. Hey, gotta love a freebie!

It looks like you have 4 of them in your B52 x Ginormous too. Believe it or not the capensis is actually recognized in New Zealand as an intrusive weed.

I say let them grow for a bit before transplanting them. It should be easier to handle that way.

Looks good man!
    Capensis makes sense, I've also read it can be very invasive. Haha too bad they're not 'alba' though I already have a regular and a red capensis. Can't complain about freebie hitchhikers though lol.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave is right; VFT dormancy is characterized by prostrate growth and a decrease in vigor. The plant pictured, though small, appears to be more immature than dormant. Since it hasn't eased into lower temps presumably, I wouldn't try to force it into dormancy now. Perhaps a window sill or terrarium would be best until it could go outside this spring.

That is just what I would do. Your mileage may vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know for sure it is immature. They specifically state on the site that they haven't grown any of these plants to maturity yet. I emailed to ask how old it might be and if it is for sure dormant or not. Hopefully I'll get a good answer on that. Hopefully, if it isn't dormant it is young enough to just skip dormancy, in which case I'll toss it in the terrarium and let it and the drosera in the pot with it grow out some until next years dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my S. purpurea ssp. purpurea today. Does this look dormant? I thought dormant Sarracenia tend to have brown pitchers if they are not removed for dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dormant Sarracenia vary in appearance by species and heredity. That purp you have is a warmer growing variety of Sarr used to less harsh winter weather. As such, if grown in a nicer climate (say, California) then it won't look too shabby during dormancy. In fact, yours looks very nice and is almost certainly dormant.

Congrats, buddy! Nice purchase.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast