Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Axelrod's CP adventures

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S.p.purpurea and S.p.venosa don't go dormant in the way most other Sarracenia do. They keep their foliage through the winter into the spring and sometimes even into early summer. These late season pitchers are also often the most attractive of the year turning deep reds and purples. S.p.purpurea is not a warmer growing variety of Sarracenia, in fact it is the most northerly growing species reaching far into Canada close to the arctic circle. Your plant looks good and appears to be dormant to me. Did this plant come with location data ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    Dormant Sarracenia vary in appearance by species and heredity. That purp you have is a warmer growing variety of Sarr used to less harsh winter weather. As such, if grown in a nicer climate (say, California) then it won't look too shabby during dormancy. In fact, yours looks very nice and is almost certainly dormant.

Congrats, buddy! Nice purchase.
    Isn't it the opposite? Aren't they used to harsher winters? Glad to hear there is a Sarr that still looks nice during dormancy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    S.p.purpurea and S.p.venosa don't go dormant in the way most other Sarracenia do. They keep their foliage through the winter into the spring and sometimes even into early summer. These late season pitchers are also often the most attractive of the year turning deep reds and purples. S.p.purpurea is not a warmer growing variety of Sarracenia, in fact it is the most northerly growing species reaching far into Canada close to the arctic circle. Your plant looks good and appears to be dormant to me. Did this plant come with location data ?
    Is there a way to tell it is dormant or is it just a matter of recognizing the different leaves it puts out? And yes it did. Lake District of Muskoka, Ontario, Canada.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no absolute way to tell by looking at it whether it's dormant or not but, with those dark purple pitcher tops I'd say it's dormant. What part of the country did it come from ? Grown outside I assume ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe California. I'm not sure of the growing conditions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great for being grown in Cali. Some of the more northern locales of S.p.purpurea can sometimes have trouble adapting to warmer climates that don't experience a good freeze in winter. Good luck with the plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelrod12 View Post
    I believe California. I'm not sure of the growing conditions.
    If you got it the same place you did your VFT's, I believe they grow all their plants outdoors.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad, gang. I just reread the post and saw ssp. purpurea. As such I agree with the latter posters. Again, my apologies.

I still get the two subspecies inverted in terms of range and the appropriate name. #StillLearning
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Looks great for being grown in Cali. Some of the more northern locales of S.p.purpurea can sometimes have trouble adapting to warmer climates that don't experience a good freeze in winter. Good luck with the plant.
    The site recommended it being hardy down to 15F. I would think up in Canada the temps can get lower than that though. I may be able to leave this one outside during our CT winters.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    If you got it the same place you did your VFT's, I believe they grow all their plants outdoors.
    Yes and no. I ordered through them but it shipped from a third party grower.

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    My bad, gang. I just reread the post and saw ssp. purpurea. As such I agree with the latter posters. Again, my apologies.

I still get the two subspecies inverted in terms of range and the appropriate name. #StillLearning
    Haha not a problem. I'm still learning lots. I constantly finding myself double and triple checking things I've read already.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast