Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Axelrod's CP adventures

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That plant can handle much lower temps than that. I actually leave all my Sarracenia outside year round in my bogs in Boston. They're much hardier than most people claim they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    That plant can handle much lower temps than that. I actually leave all my Sarracenia outside year round in my bogs in Boston. They're much hardier than most people claim they are.
    Really, do you ever have any losses? Do you take any precautions like mulching or anything? For now I will probably just be growing these in pots outside in the back yard so they will be fully exposed to the winter here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only plants I've ever lost over the winter are S.rosea, S.rosea luteola and S.rubra jonesii var. viridescens. I've tried all 3 repeatedly with the same results. There are a few others that will grow in New England, although unhappily. S.minor persists here but only puts up a few short pitchers (even var. okeefenokeensis) per season. Our growing season just isn't long enough or hot enough for it. I've also found that S.leucophylla var. viridescens and S.psitticina var. viridescens will live here though won't thrive.

I've been growing Sarracenia outside here in Boston and at my mothers house in NH for almost 15 years. I've never mulched my bogs until this year. We had a short stretch of -10 degrees with no snow cover last year that killed off all my Dionaea. There were no Sarracenia losses however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my solution to the large holes in the seedling tray. I got some silicone and some mesh with 1/8" holes, a little cutting and some silicone and I ended up with this. Ignore the bottle, it's just holding down a stubborn edge.

I'm sure the 1/8" will be fine for drainage. I don't know how big the Sarr roots will get while in the tray though. If they grow more than 2" deep though I suppose I could always just cut a hole in the mesh for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is humidity an issue with dormant Sarrs and VFTs? I noticed the tips of the cut leaves on the rhizomes I received were turning brown and it occurred to me that it is actually probably fairly dry in the garage right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelrod12 View Post
    Is humidity an issue with dormant Sarrs and VFTs? I noticed the tips of the cut leaves on the rhizomes I received were turning brown and it occurred to me that it is actually probably fairly dry in the garage right now.
    Humidity is usually not a problem. Just make sure that their soil is moist, and they should be fine.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they will grow here in dry CO< you don' have to worry about humidity....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. So another couple questions now. I just bagged some sarr seeds up with some LFS to stratify. First one, the site i followed said they need air so i made sure to leave some in the bags when i sealed them. Should I open the bags on occasion to let the air circulate. I assume leaving the bag open would make the moss dry out?

Second question. How the heck am I supposed to find the seeds in the moss after they stratify to transfer them to the peat/perlite mix in the seedling tray? They're so tiny.

And finally, this one may be more obvious but I've never grown anything from seed before. Is it one seed per seedling hole in the tray, or a few?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast