User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Axelrod's CP adventures

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is good practice to get an air change in there every few weeks or so. I have also poked small holes in one or both sides of the bag to allow a bit of air exchange, but I don't usually do that. Either way, watch out for mold and the like. I have never seen any--probably because of the antiseptic properties of sphagnum--but I understand it can happen. A squirt of neem oil or sulphur-based anti-fungal in the bag is good practice if you have some lying around.

They are hard to find in the moss come spring. In the past, I just "milled" the sphag in the bag by hand. I removed all the air, then just rubbed it around a lot until it was all fairly uniform. I then spread the seed/moss mix on the top of an eight-inch pot of peat and perlite. Since you are trying to place them in individual trays, it is a bit more tricky. I have little experience with that. I actually just sowed a lot of leucophylla seeds in seed starter trays last month and have them stratifying in the garage. This is my first go using the one-per-seed-pot method. I usually have just gone communal and planted them out separately later. They stay tiny for so long, you know?
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been busy with work lately and haven't posted much of anything so here's a good update post. The seedling tray worked out nicely. There's not a whole lot falling through. I filled most of the holes with a peat: perlite mix and a few with peat:sand. I think I read somewhere that perlite can be harmful to VFT seedlings so the VFT seeds went in those with a few spots left over to do a little experiment with some Sarracenia seeds to see how they grow in sand vs perlite. I sowed the VFT seeds about a week ago and the Sarr seeds should be going in in a week or two. They have been in the fridge for almost a month now, no mold or anything that I've seen.

Also filled two holes with regular miracle grow organic choice potting soil to germinate some mimosa pudica seeds in. In retrospect I probably should have put them in a separate pot, but I don't think it will cause any issues but feel free to tell me otherwise haha.

I had one small order come in with a P. moctezumae and two tiny unidentified sarrs. They are temporarily potted in pure LFS until I find the time to get them in separate pots. Also I placed my order with Andrew last week. and received everything this past Tuesday, a few Sarr, 3 pings, a dentate flytrap, and some more dews. So without writing too much this time I'm just gonna post some pics, you know, the fun stuff.

The Sarracenia as they sit in the garage, the windowsill proved too cold for them, I had a scare where all the pots froze completely solid including the tiny 'B52 x Ginormous'. Everything looks ok though, VFT is now inside and seems to be starting to put out new growth:

Oh and that S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is getting much more red color since I got it.

10g terrarium, the pot in the front towards the left has the P. moctezumae and tiny sarrs in it:

Bird's eye shot:

Started to run out of room so I set up a second 10g:

P. Yucca do 1713:

P. moranensis x ehlersiae:

P. esseriana:

D. adelae:

D. capensis 'Albino':

Dionaea muscipula 'Dentate':

Seedling tray, the plastic bags have leaf pullings from the pings in them:

Also got a 2nd regular capensis and red capensis from Andrew, not pictured.

My tasks this week are going to be to wrap 3 sides of the terrariums in reflective foil. I have some aluminum insulation stuff leftover from my emersed plant bins in the garage. May also use aluminum foil. Also might sow the Sarr seeds.

Bonus pics:
    Corydora Schwartzi:

Pantodon buchholzi (African Butterfly Fish):

And an action shot of my dog running/pretending she's a kangaroo:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed two tiny plants growing today that I didn't sow any seeds for. No idea what they could be but I'm gonna let them go for now.

This first one popped up in a gallon size ziplock of LFS that I had soaking in some light to try to get some live sphagnum:

This one popped up out of nowhere in my seedling tray in a slot far from where any seeds were placed yet. The peat moss used was hoffman organic canadian peat:

Both are gonna stay in the seedling tray at least until I can start to figure out what they might be.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The butterfly fish is beautiful. Do you grow any aquatic Utricularia in that tank? The second seedling looks noncarnivorous but I'm not sure about the first. It looks like there is a tuber underneath the new foliage instead of roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    The butterfly fish is beautiful. Do you grow any aquatic Utricularia in that tank? The second seedling looks noncarnivorous but I'm not sure about the first. It looks like there is a tuber underneath the new foliage instead of roots.
    Thanks, he's one of my favorites, and a lot of fun to feed. I feed him bloodworms with some tweezers because the other fish in the tank are pushy. He's started to jump out of the water and grab the bloodworms out of the tweezers.

The only aquatic utrics I have are U. gibba, which is actually a bit of a pest sometimes and I mostly have growing entangled in some java moss, and some U. graminifolia. I have U. graminifolia growing both submersed and emersed right now.

I agree about those two plants. The second most likely isn't carnivorous but I'm gonna let it go for now anyways. I thought that first one was either a rhizome or tuber. The LFS was sold to me as New Zealand LFS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two seedling tray issues. The first is I'm getting a fuzzy white mold growth in a couple spots. I guess this has to do with air circulation because of the greenhouse cover over the tray. I'm not entirely sure what I can do to combat it though besides removing the cover a couple times a day for a few minutes.

Second issue. A few of the spots are developing blue green algae. Is this something I should really be concerned over? When I sow the LFS with the seeds in it will it do anything to combat the BGA? What else could I do to get rid of it?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First plant is a Sarracenia rhizome with a dismal amount of roots. Second's a weed.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelrod12 View Post
    Two seedling tray issues. The first is I'm getting a fuzzy white mold growth in a couple spots. I guess this has to do with air circulation because of the greenhouse cover over the tray. I'm not entirely sure what I can do to combat it though besides removing the cover a couple times a day for a few minutes.

Second issue. A few of the spots are developing blue green algae. Is this something I should really be concerned over? When I sow the LFS with the seeds in it will it do anything to combat the BGA? What else could I do to get rid of it?
    The easiest thing to do is to allow a bit more of an opening to the outside. A few very small holes might do it, maybe poked with a needle. You can deter fungus with a suspension of cinnamon in water applied with an eye dropper directly to the spots needed. I've never seen it hurt a plant and it is surprisingly effective.

I rarely if ever do anything to fight blue green algae. As long as it doesn't actually cover the plants it shouldn't do any harm. It's ugly as sin, tho'. I have read that a very light application of hydrogen peroxide will kill it but this could be hard on plants as well. Rinsing your media before using it will minimize bga growth. I don't usually see it on sphagnum.

'Wishing you success.
    - Mark

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast