Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Axelrod's CP adventures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Hmm, I grow capensis year round in my backyard where there can be temperature swings of 30 degrees sometimes and it still does fine. Could there be pests on the plant?
    Maybe a few fungus gnats but I doubt anything else.
    I will add some more mosquito dunks to the water just in case there are some fungus gnats still hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    My experience with capensis suggests that these plants just go through swings like that. Mine go through periods of looking awesome and then sulking some. They usually perk up within a month or so. I know not what causes this, but if they don't perk up after a few months I repot them and that always does the trick: they look show room new within a couple weeks of repotting.

*shrugs* May be there is just something about how I care for mine. Capensis are so bullet proof that I often become quite negligent in their care. None have died for me in a few years of growing, though. Not to suggest you are doing anything wrong. Rather, I am saying if they survive my lack of attention yours will probably perk up in no time with your attentiveness.
    Repotting actually sounds like a good idea. I'll work on that. I didn't pot this one the best to start and after watering, the crown of the plant is a bit more exposed than I would like. I'm not sure if this would cause the lack of growth, but we'll see how the plant does after I fix it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nep troubles?

My ventrata has had a lot of the older lower leaves yellowing lately. Is this just old leaves dying off. Or could there be an issue with the plant? No conditions have changed recently and it still seems to be putting off new growth at the top of the vine.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just old leaves dying, nothing to worry about. It's only if you see new leaves disappearing that you should start worrying.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, so I should expect a lower bald spot on the main vine then?

Also my D. aliciae hasn't been the most vigorous grower since I got it and hasn't ever really looked amazing. Any care guides I can find specific to this species list a wide range of temps and such. Can anyone narrow it down for me? It hasn't been suffering and puts out new growth just slowly and never really looked 100% the way I think it should based on pics I've seen.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes are woody lianas, as they grow, the older leaves die off and they end up with extremely long sections of bare, woody stems.
    As for aliciae, I have one that experiences wide temperature differences throughout the year, from 40's-50's F during winter to temps as high as upper 90's during summer days. I'm thinking its biggest requirement is just lots of light. It does need a moderately large or deep pot though.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Nepenthes are woody lianas, as they grow, the older leaves die off and they end up with extremely long sections of bare, woody stems.
    As for aliciae, I have one that experiences wide temperature differences throughout the year, from 40's-50's F during winter to temps as high as upper 90's during summer days. I'm thinking its biggest requirement is just lots of light. It does need a moderately large or deep pot though.
    Thanks. Maybe I'll try a deeper pot for it then. Everything else seems like it should be fine. I have two 24w t5ho's over a 10g terrarium. High humidity and well within the temp range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So dionaea question. When they aren't dormant should I use the tray method or water from the top when it starts to dry out? I've read both in different places so I figured I'd try for a first hand experienced opinion.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dionaea can even take flooding for short periods of time (as long as they drain well afterward). Tray water, they are swamp/savannah plants.
    Growlist

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast