User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Axelrod's CP adventures

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Mr. Carlton, but I have found in my experience that just-moist soil leads to fatter rhizomes and more-toward-wet conditions lead to smaller bulbs with a (sometimes far) greater number of offshoots. I usually pot my Dionaea in deep, wide containers with lots of other flytraps. I think they look better as mass plantings, and the larger container allows me to keep them dryer toward the top of the pot -- around rhizome level -- and wetter down low where the roots are; I think they like this. In this setup, I top water about once a week except for during the hottest weather; I only let them sit in trays of water when I will be out of town for several days.

In summary, I treat them far different than my Sarracenia in terms of moisture.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew my Flytraps exactly the same way as cbennet4041 described for several years with great success. Not only does the community pot method work as suggested above, but it also increases the cold tolerance of the plants tremendously, but it may still need further protection such as mulching in zone 7b or higher.

I used to grow them in a large plastic pot about 16" across and about 8" deep, and never lost one to cold, but the when I moved them to individual pots (this last winter) I lost most of them to cold. I highly recommend a minibog or bog garden for Dionaea, especially in colder climates. I know I will return to the community method this year.

As for Sarracenia, they are not very picky when it comes to either media or pots. They are also much hardier than Dionaea, even the gulf coast species like S. leucophylla, but will also need extra protection if grown in a colder climate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I had to repot my typicals anyways so I went out and got a tall I think 8" diameter pot and potted all the typicals in there.

Here's another question. This one is probably more out of cautious paranoia than anything since I think I already know the answer. I haven't had any first hand experience with it though so I'd rather check. I put most of my Sarracenia outside a couple weeks ago when the weather got warmer. Now we are expecting a cold snap and the next 4 nights are expected to drop down to about 30-33F. I've read that most Sarracenia can tolerate frost and maybe even a brief freeze with no mulching or anything to protect them, so I'm thinking mine should be ok? How cold tolerant are Sarrs though? I have some like S. leucophylla which I believe are used to warmer temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And one more Sarr question. This time about growing from seed. I read that the first growth would be little carnivorous pitchers. And this is what I'm seeing, for most seeds. However, some seem to just be shooting up some regular thin leaves with no carnivorous growth yet. Is this normal?

Here's one slot with both kinds of growth.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a grow list? Do you grow many Nepenthes at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't really set up a formal growlist. I only have a couple Nepenthes on a windowsill. I don't have the best conditions for them at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're talking about that one grasslike looking plant in the same area as the sarr seedlings, that's not a sarr. That's just a weed.
    As for the colder temps, 30-33 is fine. Your plants should get through it okay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwest View Post
    If you're talking about that one grasslike looking plant in the same area as the sarr seedlings, that's not a sarr. That's just a weed.
    As for the colder temps, 30-33 is fine. Your plants should get through it okay
    Interesting, I didn't see any of this pop up until I sowed the Sarr seeds.

At what temp point should I really worry for Sarrs?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast