User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about starting a collection again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you maybe get a 8x8x12 or 12x12x12 Exo Terra mini-terrarium and put some lights on top? That would let you grow some things -- 8x8 would hold 4 3.5" pots, 12x12 would hold 9 or 1 big 11" bog pot. Both are watertight at the bottom and would work as a "tray" of sorts.

I'm considering doing something like that on my desk at work, might work fine in a dorm.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are into aquatics, Utricularia gibba can be grown in a small cup and is really easy to take care of. Utricularia in general usually don't take up much space, so you could grow several species in a small pot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS is the master of exo nano tank setups. highly recommend checking out his thread about them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gotten someone into cps by letting them grow dews in a windowsill under with a single 23w compact florescent bulb in an 8 dollar desk lamp from walmart and 6 dollar timer from lowes. If you can get away with the combination of natural and supplemented light then you can probably grow just about any cp that can survive with your given humidity and temperatures.

edit: that came out wrong.....i meant any plant that can tolerate your given humidity and temperatures.

GL and try not to let the bug bite you too bad on the comeback. lol.
    Last edited by cpbobby; 01-18-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcantrell View Post
    Could you maybe get a 8x8x12 or 12x12x12 Exo Terra mini-terrarium and put some lights on top? That would let you grow some things -- 8x8 would hold 4 3.5" pots, 12x12 would hold 9 or 1 big 11" bog pot. Both are watertight at the bottom and would work as a "tray" of sorts.

I'm considering doing something like that on my desk at work, might work fine in a dorm.
    I have a bit of an Exo-terra problem...I just LOVE the doors. You quickly get into budget concerns when you bring up these things. But I'm be happy to answer any questions if you want to head that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    RSS is the master of exo nano tank setups. highly recommend checking out his thread about them.
    Really odd thing to be a master of. There are some people on the Dendroboard that put mine to shame.

Jcal is likely referring to this thread. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...no-Tall-Setups

These things can get silly expensive if you let them. Page 4 starts a construction log of the last one I put together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!!!

I'm gonna get a bit more info on my room so I can help with suggestions.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By info, I mean a picture.

As one can see, I don't really too much space to work with this year.
    I'm not allowed to really hang much either.

I'll get a better picture of the windowsill.

I'm also facing North in Alabama now if that helps at all.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest forgetting the window altogether. If it's facing squarely north you won't be getting any direct light. Even if you're skewed a bit to the east or west, what direct exposure you do get will almost certainly not be enough. With those conditions you could try some Utricularia or perhaps D. adelae. There are probably some other low-light tolerant Drosera you could try but I'm not up-to-date on cultivation tolerances... I imagine though that the small rosetted species probably have to deal with shade in habitat, so it's not implausible. I also understand some of the Mexican Pinguicula prefer indirect light in the wild, growing in shady rock crevices or on vertical walls. Bottom line, though; carnivorous plants are already their own speciality in the horticulture world, and shade-tolerant carnivorous plants are a speciality within a speciality. You'll face an uphill battle getting a collection started that way.

If somebody wants to give you some shade-tolerant species it might be worth a try, but I would put my money into proper lighting before I started buying plants in your position. There are lots of people who will offer to send cuttings, seeds, etc., but not many people can afford to ship you grow-lights just out of the goodness of their hearts.

~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast