What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about starting a collection again...

From the reflector page.

"Q: Hi, What is the mogul socket number, will it fit a 600w, 1000w ? Thx

A: Standard mogul base. It will fit either of those lamps"

You DO NOT want a 600W bulb in a 12" X 12" area. If you missed that before ordering I would not recommend trying to DIY a fixture, the quickest and easiest way would be to just buy the Exo-terra hood for the terrarium and use there daylight bulb or any daylight compact under the recommended max Wattage.

Here is another link to a terrarium that is no longer being maintained properly using the standard exo-terra light fixture with one of there daylight bulbs. It is sitting on the floor and gets just enough attention to not kill off the few plants I have not moved yet. It is on my list of things to take down.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/125069-New-Vivarium-Project

From the reflector page.

"Q: Hi, What is the mogul socket number, will it fit a 600w, 1000w ? Thx

A: Standard mogul base. It will fit either of those lamps"

You DO NOT want a 600W bulb in a 12" X 12" area. If you missed that before ordering I would not recommend trying to DIY a fixture, the quickest and easiest way would be to just buy the Exo-terra hood for the terrarium and use there daylight bulb or any daylight compact under the recommended max Wattage.

Here is another link to a terrarium that is no longer being maintained properly using the standard exo-terra light fixture with one of there daylight bulbs. It is sitting on the floor and gets just enough attention to not kill off the few plants I have not moved yet. It is on my list of things to take down.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/125069-New-Vivarium-Project

As a person who knows nothing about lights I regret taking suggestions already or starting this project :x

The first light fixture that came in with the original tank was said as inadequate so I asked for a different.

I waited awhile and tried to research to confirm I wouldn't be wasting money, yet still here I am.

Everyone has a different view on almost every part of CP growing, there are just that many viable options.

If I was to light a single 12X12X12 area and I was not comfortable with DIY, I would just get the exo-terra hood and there daylight bulb, end of problem. Six months down the road if you think you need more light you can add a 2nd hood.

I personally wouldn't recommend the exo terra hood. Instead, look on aquatraders.com and get a good planted tank T5 or LED fixtures. Most fixtures are unfortunately bigger than 18". But maybe here is an option: http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Clip-On-Aquarium-Light-1W-Freshwater-Plant-p/56411p.htm
If you are willing to do some work, buy the component led from Cree led and make your own. Or if you want to go led and ready to use...I recommend finnex or current USA products. Unfortunately again most of those are bigger than 12".

But, If you just want to start off with something... and light intensity isn't too much of a problem, as RSS suggested, get the exoterra fixture... but remember to use a fan on top of the fixture to suck out the hot air and prevent it from accumulating inside the tank. If you can spare some more dough, then get this as well. I like it for the special FX you can do and use it in combo with other lights.

You can stick it inside the hood and get some additional lighting.

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-flexible-led-with-rgb/

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't recommend the exo terra hood. Instead, look on aquatraders.com and get a good planted tank T5 or LED fixtures. Most fixtures are unfortunately bigger than 18". But maybe here is an option: http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Clip-On-Aquarium-Light-1W-Freshwater-Plant-p/56411p.htm
If you are willing to do some work, buy the component led from Cree led and make your own. Or if you want to go led and ready to use...I recommend finnex or current USA products. Unfortunately again most of those are bigger than 12".

But, If you just want to start off with something... and light intensity isn't too much of a problem, as RSS suggested, get the exoterra fixture... but remember to use a fan on top of the fixture to suck out the hot air and prevent it from accumulating inside the tank. If you can spare some more dough, then get this as well. I like it for the special FX you can do and use it in combo with other lights.

You can stick it inside the hood and get some additional lighting.

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-flexible-led-with-rgb/

Have you used the Current LED strip? While I've had good experiences with Current T5 fixtures in the past looking over the strips it seems like they are the cheap LEDs and not the good ones. Looks like a toy more than a good source of lighting, but I could be wrong since I've never seen one. There spec page is to sparse or hidden.

Have you used the Current LED strip? While I've had good experiences with Current T5 fixtures in the past looking over the strips it seems like they are the cheap LEDs and not the good ones. Looks like a toy more than a good source of lighting, but I could be wrong since I've never seen one. There spec page is to sparse or hidden.

I don't use the flexible strip, but I use the satellite LED + and it seems to work pretty well. Gives good colour. But I use it in combination with other lights. I don't think it will be effective on its own. I will post an update with pics of my tank when I am back to canada.

From the planted aquarium hobby, the general consensus is that you need two of those satellite LED + to get good colour on red coloured plants planted in an 18" tall aquarium. I currently use 4 fixtures. In hindsight, perhaps the build my led would have been cheaper and a smaller setup.

But I agree...the LED are weak. I think its more cheaper and efficient to go with the higher powered Cree LED. I would make my own fixtures if I had the skills, but I suck at DIY and I am too impatient for that. :p

Last edited:
I would make my own fixtures if I had the skills, but I suck at DIY and I am too impatient for that. :p

As for DIY LEDs these moonlight kits are the easiest ones I could imagine, I currently have 10 of these kits running and would not trade them out for anything I've found. Each kit runs at 4-5W (little over 1W per LED). All you need to do is get a nice heatsink, lenses, some thermal adhesive, and remember to ask them to swap out the blue LEDs for your color preference. The connections are solderless and they bond to the heatsink via thermal pads (a double sided heat transferable tape), the lenses are the hardest part of the whole project. You have to place them on top of the LED and glue them down with the thermal adhesive without getting any on the LED or inside of the lenses. Its really not hard but I find it annoying, also the lense focuses the LED so if you mount it at an angle your light will shine that way so they need to get them on as straight as possible. The wiring is really easy also.

Pages 3-4 of this thread http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...uild-a-Cephalotus-grow-space-would-love-input! I have some good photos of the bigger DIY kit, remove all the soldering and its about the same as the moonlight kits. About post #27 of that thread, also the last post on page 9 I included my "what I would fix if I remade this" post so its worth reading.

I'm just starting a Utric quelchii tank that will use 2-3 of these kits with daylight LEDs, I'll try and remember to include some photos when I build the light bars.

I have never tried any other LED products for plants so I only know the CREE line, I'm sure there are many others that work just as well.

http://www.rapidled.com/4-led-solderless-moonlight-kit/

Back on topic...

But if your going for simple I'd stay with compact flourescents for anything under 18". They are tried and true and available at many local places. I've been using them since I first found them with good results. Simple and over 18" I'd get a 24"+ T5 and live with the overhang.

Here are a few of my current vivariums, the larger one is using two 48" t5s, the 4 smaller ones are running a 26W compact for each tank. I will be replacing these with LEDs when the bulbs burn out.

DSC_1013 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

The first one I setup when I returned to the US many many many moons ago, light by 2 9W compacts.

257 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

As for DIY LEDs these moonlight kits are the easiest ones I could imagine, I currently have 10 of these kits running and would not trade them out for anything I've found. Each kit runs at 4-5W (little over 1W per LED). All you need to do is get a nice heatsink, lenses, some thermal adhesive, and remember to ask them to swap out the blue LEDs for your color preference. The connections are solderless and they bond to the heatsink via thermal pads (a double sided heat transferable tape), the lenses are the hardest part of the whole project. You have to place them on top of the LED and glue them down with the thermal adhesive without getting any on the LED or inside of the lenses. Its really not hard but I find it annoying, also the lense focuses the LED so if you mount it at an angle your light will shine that way so they need to get them on as straight as possible. The wiring is really easy also.

Pages 3-4 of this thread http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...uild-a-Cephalotus-grow-space-would-love-input! I have some good photos of the bigger DIY kit, remove all the soldering and its about the same as the moonlight kits. About post #27 of that thread, also the last post on page 9 I included my "what I would fix if I remade this" post so its worth reading.

I'm just starting a Utric quelchii tank that will use 2-3 of these kits with daylight LEDs, I'll try and remember to include some photos when I build the light bars.

I have never tried any other LED products for plants so I only know the CREE line, I'm sure there are many others that work just as well.

http://www.rapidled.com/4-led-solderless-moonlight-kit/

Thanks for the detailed reply RSS. I have a big update that I have to talk about for my setup. I practically changed the total growing conditions by redoing the background and changing the lights. The resultant drop in temperatures have certainly helped with the colour. Although, my single H. pulchella isn't red yet. :p But I am planning a new nano setup with integrated lighting. The idea is to custom design my LED light and make a setup similar to an ADA quality showpiece. I will definitely be bugging you for help with the LED stuff. Meanwhile the finnex and satellite LED+ are working pretty well on my tank. More info on this later when I go back home in a week or so and I can take some videos to show off the tanks and light intensity.

While I try and return everything, can I get specific info on what bulb a sundew needs?

Is there one that will cover the majority of carnivorous plants?

What sort of Watts am I looking for in a fixture?

So far the current thing I learned is either an LED or CFL (T5).

Last edited:
While I try and return everything, can I get specific info on what bulb a sundew needs?

If you want to try something cheap and easy... get a daylight flouroscent CFL 26watt. 6500K. Not warm white or cool white, daylight flouroscent or sunlight. Should be a philips brand IIRC. Its one of the cheapest bulbs that will work and helped me grow red cephs for years.

But if you want to use your bulb, just get a $15 screw in clamp light. It will be overkill for your tank, but the plants won't mind it. Infact, if you can manage the heat, you could probably grow anything you want with fantastic colour. Ugly but will work. ALTHOUGH...I would be concerned about the maximum wattage for that fixture and your bulb.

1-14-clamp%20light.jpg

If you want to go the simple route. Get this:

exo_terra_compact_top_main.jpg

Screw in that 26watt daylight flouroscent CFL and you will be good to go. Good looks, will look nice and clean on your desk and a nice enough solution till you upscale.

Last edited:
BTW....get the canopy and go for that 26watt CFL. You cannot beat this. If RSS could achieve this with a single compact flouroscent, you should have no problems growing any plants.

PS: pic below stolen from RSS's terrarium thread linked in this thread. Holy crap that ceph is fantastic btw. great job. An example of the very setup I want to make with LED and a full 360 degree viewpoint glass tank.

DSC_0113 by Simprs, on Flickr

10385590_447570768720116_22511138074034309_n.jpg

If you mean this, then I already have one.

Right..

then for a bulb...I have used this

35256.fpx

And also this

14982-500x500.png

This is harder to find...you can find it in hydroponic stores.

Both work well...but the sunblaster is more "full spectrum" according to the label. However, the GE one might be as well...but just the information is ignored for the common public who don't care about full spectrum in their workplace/home.

I'm not dead :D

But yeah, I got the terrarium working this year, so I guess I'm just looking for butterwort I could grow. I'll probably get pictures soon enough.

Back