User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 48 of 55

Thread: Thinking about starting a collection again...

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the reflector page.

    "Q: Hi, What is the mogul socket number, will it fit a 600w, 1000w ? Thx

    A: Standard mogul base. It will fit either of those lamps"

    You DO NOT want a 600W bulb in a 12" X 12" area. If you missed that before ordering I would not recommend trying to DIY a fixture, the quickest and easiest way would be to just buy the Exo-terra hood for the terrarium and use there daylight bulb or any daylight compact under the recommended max Wattage.

    Here is another link to a terrarium that is no longer being maintained properly using the standard exo-terra light fixture with one of there daylight bulbs. It is sitting on the floor and gets just enough attention to not kill off the few plants I have not moved yet. It is on my list of things to take down.

    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...varium-Project

  2. #42
    LeafKirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    From the reflector page.

    "Q: Hi, What is the mogul socket number, will it fit a 600w, 1000w ? Thx

    A: Standard mogul base. It will fit either of those lamps"

    You DO NOT want a 600W bulb in a 12" X 12" area. If you missed that before ordering I would not recommend trying to DIY a fixture, the quickest and easiest way would be to just buy the Exo-terra hood for the terrarium and use there daylight bulb or any daylight compact under the recommended max Wattage.

    Here is another link to a terrarium that is no longer being maintained properly using the standard exo-terra light fixture with one of there daylight bulbs. It is sitting on the floor and gets just enough attention to not kill off the few plants I have not moved yet. It is on my list of things to take down.

    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...varium-Project

    As a person who knows nothing about lights I regret taking suggestions already or starting this project :x

    The first light fixture that came in with the original tank was said as inadequate so I asked for a different.

    I waited awhile and tried to research to confirm I wouldn't be wasting money, yet still here I am.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has a different view on almost every part of CP growing, there are just that many viable options.

    If I was to light a single 12X12X12 area and I was not comfortable with DIY, I would just get the exo-terra hood and there daylight bulb, end of problem. Six months down the road if you think you need more light you can add a 2nd hood.

  4. #44
    Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldn't recommend the exo terra hood. Instead, look on aquatraders.com and get a good planted tank T5 or LED fixtures. Most fixtures are unfortunately bigger than 18". But maybe here is an option: http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Clip-...t-p/56411p.htm
    If you are willing to do some work, buy the component led from Cree led and make your own. Or if you want to go led and ready to use...I recommend finnex or current USA products. Unfortunately again most of those are bigger than 12".

    But, If you just want to start off with something... and light intensity isn't too much of a problem, as RSS suggested, get the exoterra fixture... but remember to use a fan on top of the fixture to suck out the hot air and prevent it from accumulating inside the tank. If you can spare some more dough, then get this as well. I like it for the special FX you can do and use it in combo with other lights.

    You can stick it inside the hood and get some additional lighting.

    http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...-led-with-rgb/
    Last edited by vraev; 07-03-2014 at 06:49 AM.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I personally wouldn't recommend the exo terra hood. Instead, look on aquatraders.com and get a good planted tank T5 or LED fixtures. Most fixtures are unfortunately bigger than 18". But maybe here is an option: http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Clip-...t-p/56411p.htm
    If you are willing to do some work, buy the component led from Cree led and make your own. Or if you want to go led and ready to use...I recommend finnex or current USA products. Unfortunately again most of those are bigger than 12".

    But, If you just want to start off with something... and light intensity isn't too much of a problem, as RSS suggested, get the exoterra fixture... but remember to use a fan on top of the fixture to suck out the hot air and prevent it from accumulating inside the tank. If you can spare some more dough, then get this as well. I like it for the special FX you can do and use it in combo with other lights.

    You can stick it inside the hood and get some additional lighting.

    http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...-led-with-rgb/
    Have you used the Current LED strip? While I've had good experiences with Current T5 fixtures in the past looking over the strips it seems like they are the cheap LEDs and not the good ones. Looks like a toy more than a good source of lighting, but I could be wrong since I've never seen one. There spec page is to sparse or hidden.

  6. #46
    Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Have you used the Current LED strip? While I've had good experiences with Current T5 fixtures in the past looking over the strips it seems like they are the cheap LEDs and not the good ones. Looks like a toy more than a good source of lighting, but I could be wrong since I've never seen one. There spec page is to sparse or hidden.
    I don't use the flexible strip, but I use the satellite LED + and it seems to work pretty well. Gives good colour. But I use it in combination with other lights. I don't think it will be effective on its own. I will post an update with pics of my tank when I am back to canada.

    From the planted aquarium hobby, the general consensus is that you need two of those satellite LED + to get good colour on red coloured plants planted in an 18" tall aquarium. I currently use 4 fixtures. In hindsight, perhaps the build my led would have been cheaper and a smaller setup.

    But I agree...the LED are weak. I think its more cheaper and efficient to go with the higher powered Cree LED. I would make my own fixtures if I had the skills, but I suck at DIY and I am too impatient for that.
    Last edited by vraev; 07-03-2014 at 12:35 PM.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saginaw, TX USA
    Posts
    1,567
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I would make my own fixtures if I had the skills, but I suck at DIY and I am too impatient for that.
    As for DIY LEDs these moonlight kits are the easiest ones I could imagine, I currently have 10 of these kits running and would not trade them out for anything I've found. Each kit runs at 4-5W (little over 1W per LED). All you need to do is get a nice heatsink, lenses, some thermal adhesive, and remember to ask them to swap out the blue LEDs for your color preference. The connections are solderless and they bond to the heatsink via thermal pads (a double sided heat transferable tape), the lenses are the hardest part of the whole project. You have to place them on top of the LED and glue them down with the thermal adhesive without getting any on the LED or inside of the lenses. Its really not hard but I find it annoying, also the lense focuses the LED so if you mount it at an angle your light will shine that way so they need to get them on as straight as possible. The wiring is really easy also.

    Pages 3-4 of this thread http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...uld-love-input! I have some good photos of the bigger DIY kit, remove all the soldering and its about the same as the moonlight kits. About post #27 of that thread, also the last post on page 9 I included my "what I would fix if I remade this" post so its worth reading.

    I'm just starting a Utric quelchii tank that will use 2-3 of these kits with daylight LEDs, I'll try and remember to include some photos when I build the light bars.

    I have never tried any other LED products for plants so I only know the CREE line, I'm sure there are many others that work just as well.

    http://www.rapidled.com/4-led-solderless-moonlight-kit/

    Back on topic...

    But if your going for simple I'd stay with compact flourescents for anything under 18". They are tried and true and available at many local places. I've been using them since I first found them with good results. Simple and over 18" I'd get a 24"+ T5 and live with the overhang.

    Here are a few of my current vivariums, the larger one is using two 48" t5s, the 4 smaller ones are running a 26W compact for each tank. I will be replacing these with LEDs when the bulbs burn out.

    DSC_1013 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

    The first one I setup when I returned to the US many many many moons ago, light by 2 9W compacts.

    257 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

  8. #48
    Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    As for DIY LEDs these moonlight kits are the easiest ones I could imagine, I currently have 10 of these kits running and would not trade them out for anything I've found. Each kit runs at 4-5W (little over 1W per LED). All you need to do is get a nice heatsink, lenses, some thermal adhesive, and remember to ask them to swap out the blue LEDs for your color preference. The connections are solderless and they bond to the heatsink via thermal pads (a double sided heat transferable tape), the lenses are the hardest part of the whole project. You have to place them on top of the LED and glue them down with the thermal adhesive without getting any on the LED or inside of the lenses. Its really not hard but I find it annoying, also the lense focuses the LED so if you mount it at an angle your light will shine that way so they need to get them on as straight as possible. The wiring is really easy also.

    Pages 3-4 of this thread http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...uld-love-input! I have some good photos of the bigger DIY kit, remove all the soldering and its about the same as the moonlight kits. About post #27 of that thread, also the last post on page 9 I included my "what I would fix if I remade this" post so its worth reading.

    I'm just starting a Utric quelchii tank that will use 2-3 of these kits with daylight LEDs, I'll try and remember to include some photos when I build the light bars.

    I have never tried any other LED products for plants so I only know the CREE line, I'm sure there are many others that work just as well.

    http://www.rapidled.com/4-led-solderless-moonlight-kit/
    Thanks for the detailed reply RSS. I have a big update that I have to talk about for my setup. I practically changed the total growing conditions by redoing the background and changing the lights. The resultant drop in temperatures have certainly helped with the colour. Although, my single H. pulchella isn't red yet. But I am planning a new nano setup with integrated lighting. The idea is to custom design my LED light and make a setup similar to an ADA quality showpiece. I will definitely be bugging you for help with the LED stuff. Meanwhile the finnex and satellite LED+ are working pretty well on my tank. More info on this later when I go back home in a week or so and I can take some videos to show off the tanks and light intensity.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •