Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nepenthes cuttings turning black

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes cuttings turning black

I took some stem cuttings of my Nepenthes alata a week ago, and now they are starting to turn black. They are in a glass aquarium with plastic wrap over it which receives a few hours of direct sunlight in the morning. There is a tear over the plastic wrap above the plants so there is some air circulation. The Nepenthes cuttings are in long-fibered sphagnum which I water lightly every few days, and were dipped in rooting hormone powder before being planted. The last time I tried to take a cutting the same thing happened.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leaves turning black is usually nothing to worry about. Next time you take cuttings, try dipping the cut ends of the leaves in a fungicide. It may help with the blackening ends.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    They are in a glass aquarium with plastic wrap over it which receives a few hours of direct sunlight in the morning.
    That's most likely your problem right there (well, the big one, as I see it) - you should never place cuttings where they will be exposed to direct sun; they will simply desiccate and die before they have a chance to root. Bright light, yes -- but no direct sun.