What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes cuttings turning black

I took some stem cuttings of my Nepenthes alata a week ago, and now they are starting to turn black. They are in a glass aquarium with plastic wrap over it which receives a few hours of direct sunlight in the morning. There is a tear over the plastic wrap above the plants so there is some air circulation. The Nepenthes cuttings are in long-fibered sphagnum which I water lightly every few days, and were dipped in rooting hormone powder before being planted. The last time I tried to take a cutting the same thing happened.
DSC_0340_1.jpg

The leaves turning black is usually nothing to worry about. Next time you take cuttings, try dipping the cut ends of the leaves in a fungicide. It may help with the blackening ends.

They are in a glass aquarium with plastic wrap over it which receives a few hours of direct sunlight in the morning.

That's most likely your problem right there (well, the big one, as I see it) - you should never place cuttings where they will be exposed to direct sun; they will simply desiccate and die before they have a chance to root. Bright light, yes -- but no direct sun.

Back