What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As you will quickly realize, this title is sarcastic. I am not the average teenager. Instead of being attached to my phone, I'm attached to my hobbies. Whenever people walk into my room, they are stunned and have no idea such things existed. My room is easily recognizable even from outside the house because it’s a constant daylight spectrum supernova (a supernova funded by my parents’ ever increasing electric bill). The hobbies that I'm most interested in are reef aquariums, freshwater aquariums, poison dart frog vivariums, and carnivorous plants. The worst part of having all of this stuff in my room is that some of the lights go on at like 7 in the morning so I can’t really sleep in on the weekends. On the flipside, the lights help me wake up on school days. The sound isn’t a problem. The humming of various pumps and the trickle of the waterfalls in the vivariums actually helps me sleep. I just thought I’d give you a look into what almost all of my free time revolves around.

Obviously I don’t treat my carpet well- that burn mark is from an aquarium heater stupidly left on the floor. Those stains are from various spills of nasty water. I once spilled 5 gallons of RODI water on the floor and it began dripping through the lights beneath my room onto the living room floor :).

I thought a panoramic shot would be cool. This is the view from my bed.

This is my new iwagumi 12 gallon long freshwater aquarium. Well, it's not an aquarium yet. I'm just waiting for the carpet to fill in before flooding the tank.

This is a little sundew setup I have. It's lit by 4 T5 bulbs and they are all growing so well, especially those in the terrarium.

This is a vivarium that contains 4 leucomelas and has a custom background. It still needs to grow in a lot but I think I'm done moving plants around. Two of the miniature orchids are blooming which is pretty cool.

This shelf contains a 20 gallon vivarium with 2 azureus which also needs to grow in a lot, especially the back wall. On the right is my Nuvo 8 reef which I just rescaped and I'm happy with how it's turning out. I'm waiting on receiving a Nano Box Mini Tide which I'm super excited about (my previous par30 bulb broke so I'm using the stock light until the new light comes). This tank houses just a clownfish and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I'm thinking about adding a clown goby.

This picture shows my 18 gallon saltwater storage tank, my 7 gallon RODI storage jug, and my RODI reservoir that feeds the nepenthes terrarium's diy automatic flood and drain watering system.

This is my pot of B52 venus flytraps. I have been trying to put them into dormancy by shortening the photoperiod which has worked the past 3 years, but because I upgraded my lighting while doing that, they think it's spring and are blooming...oh well.

This is my nepenthes terrarium that is 48"x18". As mentioned before, it has an automatic watering system and a humidifier and fan. It also contains a few air plants and a bromeliad. The sphagnum moss used to look awesome but because I haven't been good about refilling the humidifier, the humidity sometimes drops really low. This terrarium is just a normal wire rack that I covered with plexi glass on all sides and sealed with insulation foam.

Awesome Room :)

lol I have the exact same situation. Poison Dart Frog vivarium and a cp setup in my room.

Nicely done. :)

You "do the 'dew" well (nice tanks)

Thanks everyone. One day I hope to have a nepenthes filled greenhouse that I could only dream of looking as beautiful as whimgrinder's geinhouse :).

This is so true for me as well (I'm also 16), although everything's outside in the GH. Fantastic setup!

Impressive!

Looks a bit similar to my house. Got a mini greenhouse in the bedroom with the snakes, a pot of orange tree seedlings, and a couple of starter trays, but I also have the 6 x 6 greenhouse in the living room too, so...... :D you're getting there, but like carbonetc mentioned, the floor and walls are still visible... :)

You guys are too funny. Well, I've found that in general, my collection never shrinks. It just keeps growing and growing and my interests continue to expand. One day I might be able to cover the floor and walls :)...ain't that the dream life. But in reality, while most kids are excited about college, I don't want to have to tear everything down :( I still don't know what I'll do with all of this stuff.

You guys are too funny. Well, I've found that in general, my collection never shrinks. It just keeps growing and growing and my interests continue to expand. One day I might be able to cover the floor and walls :)...ain't that the dream life. But in reality, while most kids are excited about college, I don't want to have to tear everything down :( I still don't know what I'll do with all of this stuff.

I am in a similar situation in terms of college. Luckily though, I have a couple friends who have generously offered to keep my plants for me when I go to college.

I'm in college and managed to stay at home, so I don't have to up and move everything....

Pretty awesome setups!!!! Keep at it because absolutely 0% of us here think it's weird. My wife couldn't stand me doing that anymore and let me get a greenhouse just so she could boot my planties outside :).

Really nice room! Couldn't you have just moved the Venus flytraps somewhere dark for the winter?

Back