Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Indoor Pitcher Plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other plant you might consider is S. rosea. The only problem might be lighting, but with a lamp and good window light, you would probably be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acro View Post
    What is a good pitcher plant for indoor gorwing? Is there anything that:

Can grow by a window or under a lamp.
    Handle the low humidity of indoor life.
    Remain small to medium in size.
    Go without a cold-dormant period.

If the pitcher plant can be grown as an epiphyte or lithophyte, that would be a plus!

Currently, I am doing well growing: Pinguicula potosiensis, moranensis, agnata x gypsicola and Drosera capensis (typical and albino).
    I think this has adequately covered in this thread, but just in case:

Can grow by a window or under a lamp. - No. (they could survive for a short time, but its really not enough light)
    Handle the low humidity of indoor life. - Yes.
    Remain small to medium in size. - Yes.
    Go without a cold-dormant period. - No.

the two yes's are irrelevant, because the two No's override them.
    there is no Saccenia that can survive indoors long-term without a dormancy.
    its best for the plants to not grow them indoors at all, ever..they simply are not tropical houseplants.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "there is no Saccenia that can survive indoors long-term without a dormancy" Scottychaos,
    I am in a tropical climate and my Sarra purpurea has been growing in the back of my greenhouse in dim light (under a bench) for a couple years, and before that it spent 3 years under a tree in the yard, no full sun, it has not had a dormancy in over 4years and shows no signs of slowing growth, but I will admit that a few other sarra's have gone into a shock then decline after the first 2yeasr of no dormancy, but not purpurea, and my minor is getting to the 4year mark without dormancy and looks good, and all of my sarra's flower for me to.
    True these are not indoors, but they are still happy without dormancy.
    Leuc's and flava on the other hand need a dormancy for me or they get very sickly.
    Another one is dionaea, although my attempts to grow these plants long-term has failed (due to lack of dormancy I guess) there is another grower here that has a few huge dionaea that she has had growing on her balcony for over 5years without dormancy and they look great, the only difference between her place and mine is that my humidity is always above 70%, so I am yet to figure out why her plants prosper in a lowland nepenthes climate.

But many nepenthes are happy in dim light, my bellii gets filtered light all day and is happy, I tried pervillei, campanulata and kongkadana in the same conditions and they declined, so obviously belli are tolerant of dimer light, and they stay small, but humidity may be an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arco,

FYI, if you decide you are interested in trying S. rosea indoors take a look at what Barry Rice has to say about them here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...S_purpurea.php Here: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5542.html and here: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5552.html . You should be able to find enough info by poking around a bit to get you started and to see that they may be a viable option.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    s. rosea is one of the biggest clumping sarrs out there. Nothing bigger comes to mind. something to consider.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123