Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Indoor Pitcher Plant?

What is a good pitcher plant for indoor gorwing? Is there anything that:

Can grow by a window or under a lamp.
    Handle the low humidity of indoor life.
    Remain small to medium in size.
    Go without a cold-dormant period.

If the pitcher plant can be grown as an epiphyte or lithophyte, that would be a plus!

Currently, I am doing well growing: Pinguicula potosiensis, moranensis, agnata x gypsicola and Drosera capensis (typical and albino).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but this site has some good info on growing Neps inside: http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/

Also, I believe I've read somewhere that S. purpurea can be grown indoors by a window, but they do require a dormancy. However, I'm not sure if they need a cold dormancy, or just a photo-dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of intermediate Nepenthes such as Nepenthes x Ventrata which can often be found in lowes or Home Depot should work just fine in a sunny windowsill or under a compact fluorescent daylight spectrum bulb. Good luck!
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Ventrata cutting that is getting abused in my window sill. nice growth but no pitchers ATM. Pay shipping and its yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew Cephalotus in a sunny bathroom for a year and it seemed happy enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all Nepenthes are tropical so they never go dormant, I think a nepenthes similar to what you are looking for would be Nepenthes campanulata. it stays small only about 6 to 8 inches in diameter, never vines, its also a lythophyte growing in limestone rock walls. But its a rare one and often sells out fast with purveyors here in the US
    Gen 1:11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgadoxx8 View Post
    all Nepenthes are tropical so they never go dormant, I think a nepenthes similar to what you are looking for would be Nepenthes campanulata. it stays small only about 6 to 8 inches in diameter, never vines, its also a lythophyte growing in limestone rock walls. But its a rare one and often sells out fast with purveyors here in the US
    While the temperature range of an indoor environment might be tolerable to a warm growing species like N. campanulata, low humidity will probably prevent the species from performing well.

To the OP: N. Ventrata or N. Miranda would be better choices for you, but be aware that if you have really low humidity in the house, it can prevent any Nepenthes from forming pitchers. I performed a test in Summer 2012 where I placed a couple of my easiest N. maxima hybrids outdoors from June to early October, and in our dry (30%) air the plants stopped producing pitchers completely, even though all other climate conditions was ideal. They resumed pitchering only once they were returned to the humid greenhouse environment in mid-October. I think many people overlook the importance of humidity as a significant factor in the production of pitchers, and there is a point at which the dryness factor will prevent pitcher formation. It would be a good idea to measure the relative humidity in your house over a period of several days, both day and night readings, to determine exactly how dry your house is before making any choices.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking, Nepenthes are decent indoor plants. Sarracenias need direct sunlight and a dormancy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast