Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: knife collectors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bradaddie, the adamas looks pretty good, I may consider it although it's a little more pricey than the izula I was looking at. I also second the request for anyone that has any suggestions on sharpening knives or knife sharpening systems. The only thing I've really looked at in the past with good reviews are the Warthog knife sharpeners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sharpening I don't have anything crazy just a smiths diamond stone system it has a bunch of stuff it does the job im still in the search for something better that won't break the bank. Let me know if you find something worth looking at

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelrod12 View Post
    I also second the request for anyone that has any suggestions on sharpening knives or knife sharpening systems.
    Not really recommendations - just a quick reflection.

My brothers & I grew up always trying to produce a better edge than the others (tested by shaving hair off spots on arms / legs). Bottom line - it was really hit or miss for good edges. When my brother went into the Navy, there was a guy on his ship that would put a great edge on any knife for a few bucks. He used a simple Lansky system - which looks like a cheap version of Smith's Diamond System. I got a Lansky kit & used it for many years. For simple knives, it provides the consistency to get a good edge. However,

- metal clamps can mark blade (not cool on heirloom knife)
    - blade size can be an issue (not enough reach & ends have different angle than middle - due to design)
    - grit stones don't last all that long (get curved from use)
    - time consuming

I didn't really like oil & time spent sharpening (& setup) became an issue so I wasn't doing the knives frequently. After a few hours of research, I got some diamond grit stones & a simple clamp that worked on a flat surface. I like the diamond grit (& water convenience) but duplicating the exact angles each time was a bit of an issue. In addition, time wasn't much better. More research & more talking to people.

I've taken a step back & now use the diamond stones to put a nice 20* edge on each side. Then I use this super simple Lansky rod-in-a-block approach to keep a 25* edge every few days. For the past several months, our kitchen knives have been sharper than they've been in years.

I hold the blade perpendicular to a light & if there any reflections, I grab the block out of the cabinet, take several swipes & the blade shaves hair. I always dismissed these systems because they don't use a lubricant & had no way to hold an angle. However, after talking with people - it's tough for someone to be able to hold a 20* or 25* angle by eye -- but most people can hold a blade vertically with accuracy & consistency. As for the lack of lubricant - I still use the larger diamond stones to get the original 20* angle & the rods just provide a regular tune-up.

The bottom line for me has been accepting realities of life - I want to use sharp blades (all the time) but time was keeping me away.

From a cool-looking 'toy' perspective, that Warthog system looks very interesting & the reviews seem to say it's more than a toy. I'm also interested to see / hear what others are using and any advice tidbits they'd like to share (like what are options for serrated blades?)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a personal fav for bush, and very economical especially for the blade quality:
    http://www.amazon.com/Light-Fire-Fir.../dp/B007BO9G1W
    Back side of blade has a nice edge for the fire steel, makes starting a fire easy.

as far as sharpening, I lack in that area too, I just use Arkansas stones... but I think what I do is considered the Japanese style, back and forth in one spot until a burr can be felt on the top edge, move up the blade and repeat, then once the entire side has the burr, flip and repeat for the opposite side, then remove burr by going back and forth between the sides....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKV5-ZSWcE
    (Scandinavian grinds are different, you basically just lay the blade on the stone, no secondary angle)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 02-19-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add link

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new Helle Dokka :-)

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is a gorgeous knife, i love anything with a scandi grind

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is a very sexy knife!!! I really like the look of it.

I ended up getting Case texas toothpick that I have been carrying. Love that little knife.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123