Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where can I get live, sustainable sphagnum

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a certain vendor online that sell Sphagnum starting about this time every year. They don't have any right now but should by march or April. You could also trade with people, otherwise all of what you would get would be from nature (which I think is sustainable in many circumstances if it isn't a massive harvest operation, but that doesn't really exist)...

Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I would think the Meadowview species is temperate, and not indefinitely sustainable in a tropical (Nepenthes friendly) environment.
    I'd argue that it is.

Almost all Sphagnum is temperate and can survive a Nepenthes-friendly environment as long as there is a temperature swing. I've only been in the hobby for a bit over two years, but every single species of Sphagnum I have is doing just fine with my Nepenthes. I have species from all over North America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with Jeremiah Harris, he has a large enough collection that he may have some extra live tropical LFS available.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just depends on how temperate or tropical your conditions are. The native moss from Alaska will not grow very well in an indefinite Nepenthes enclosure, but sphagnum native to further south in the warmer subtropical* areas of the state may very well tolerate more tropical conditions for a very long time. Sphagnum is very hardy. Even the Alaskan moss grows in highland Nepenthes conditions, it just doesn't grow very well...

Too bad meadowview doesn't ship to WA! Dang it.

This is a good thread to start though, and a good question to ask for any carnivorous plant grower.

*relatively speaking
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on where the Sphagnum is from. Alpine and arctic species will need a definite cold period. I have some that I bought from a nursery in California. It grew like gangbusters indoors under lights (room temperatures) but after 3 years started to noticeably decline. I moved it outdoors in the fall and after one winter began to pick up again at times developing a reddish tinge and get on the verge of generating sporophytes. It never did that indoors.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally I tend to find sphagnum just pops up in pots from places I buy, and by now, with it growing actively in nearly all my pots, I regularly harvest the excess and store it in a container until I use it (I have about a 2 quart Tupperware filled with live plants, a mix of both red and green forms right now, actually).
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'll contact Meadowview. I am growing some and I'll be sure to grow that out as well. Thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Too bad meadowview doesn't ship to WA! Dang it.
    I hear ya, Dex. I don't know how we got so lucky:

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowview's Website
    Due to plant quarantines on soil mixes we do not ship live sphagnum moss to the following states: AZ, CA, ID, NV, OR, UT or WA.
    Why Utah? Why?

I would certainly be able to get the product delivered here, I suppose Utah has given Meadowview trouble in the past, or more likely Meadowview is the only place that honors the state's requirements. I wonder if there is some inter-state "phyto-like" certificate I can get to allow a shipment...Meadowview was just so promising! Looks like I need a Wyoming trip and an address... :P
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12