Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get live, sustainable sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where can I get live, sustainable sphagnum

Hey Everyone:

With the recent large expansion of my CP collection, I haven't been able to keep up with my need for live sphagnum both to incorporate as media and as a top dressing. I'd like to obtain some more live sphagnum, but I wanted to ask where I can obtain it sustainably, i.e. not harvested from nature. I did a quick web search but a bunch of places which offered it seemed not to have source info or, alternatively, actually appeared to harvest it from the wild. Obviously, I don't want wild collected sphagnum because, more likely than not, it's taken from a habitat that does or could sustain CPs and I'd rather not deprive them of their growing medium. So, I figured I'd ask if anyone knew where I could obtain some cultured, live sphagnum.

Thanks!
    -Natch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this for tropical CPs or temperate CPs. It matters because temperate sphagnum typically doesn't do very well indoors long term. You need tropical sphagnum like ******* has. I keep a small culture going for top dressing. Places like Meadowview Biological Research Station keep temperate cultures going in all their nursery pots so there is no wild harvesting. And honestly, most sphagnum grows so quickly that taking a few plugs to start a culture really isn't an issue in most places. That being said, taking plants from the wild is not an acceptable way of acquiring plants without the proper permits.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obtaining it, not so much, growing it on your own though is definitely doable.

I have seen a few different methods. Some people have had a lot of success just taking a wad of the high quality dried sphagnum moss, throwing it in a bag or in one of those domed seed starting trays and keeping it super damp. Any residual spores in the media will germinate after a few months and you can grow from there.

Another method I have seen work with a higher success rate is to do the exact same thing you did in the previous example then chop up a small portion of live sphagnum and seed the media with it. Unfortunately these methods take time.

I have a friend of mine that just lays live sphagnum strands on top of a peat substrate and has rosettes form along the stem after a few weeks/months.

I'd suggest trading for a small clump and then propagating it in those plastic storage bins. That way you more or less know where it came from.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd want it for Nep top dressing, mostly. I do have some growing, the problem is that I don't have enough, currently, and would like to get some more. I suppose it there's really no suppliers I'll just wait it out for mine to grow.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    source for live sphag that also helps support conservation efforts

http://www.pitcherplant.org/Online-C...Bog-Plant.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think the Meadowview species is temperate, and not indefinitely sustainable in a tropical (Nepenthes friendly) environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ha! There is also a link in Av8tor1's growlist that details the method I was talking about. That one was actually the one that I was referencing in my post!
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, but I do know that Cindy uses Meadowview's sphagnum in Singapore, cant get much more tropical than that...

(before anyone freaks, she picked it up from me when she was in the states)

Just in case I'm not being clear enough, Meadowview does not ship overseas, please do not ask them
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 02-15-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast