User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF Bay area carnivorous plant collections?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SF Bay area carnivorous plant collections?

I'm going to have a few days to kill in San Francisco in two weeks. I'll be going to the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden and California Carnivores. I might also visit the Conservatory of Flowers again for their great nepenthes collection. Is there anything plant-wise hidden away in that range that I should take the time to visit?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you got all of them. Carnivore Culture is located in Marin County, but I'm not sure if it is open to the public.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonetc View Post
    I'm going to have a few days to kill in San Francisco in two weeks. I'll be going to the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden and ... I might also visit the Conservatory of Flowers again for their great nepenthes collection. Is there anything plant-wise hidden away in that range that I should take the time to visit?
    To be completely honest, every collection pretty much sucks other than that one vendor you mentioned. I'd personally go there and spend all my time. You could loiter there for hours I'm sure, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt know UC Berkeley Botanical Garden had a good CP collection, I'll have to go check it out now.. Thanks to this! Ha! And Carnivore Culture...

I think the SF conservatory is going to have some new CP displays but not sure when thats going to be...

But I agree with Pineapple about where you should spend most of your time...

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The carnivore exhibit at the SF Conservatory of Flowers will be starting on April 11th. I'm hoping to volunteer there to explain the horrors of plant carnivory to an unsuspecting public

I love the UC Botanical Garden (I'm a member) but I feel like their carnivore collection is just okay. They've probably got like 18-20 different plants, maybe a couple more. They're grown fairly well, but they're not really spectacular specimens. I still think the UC Botanical Garden is 100% worth a visit though. Its collection of arid/desert plants is astonishing, as is the Australasian collection (and the cycad and palm collection, and the South American -- it's a great garden).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love UCBG! Their carnivore collection is pretty good and the place is just beautiful. if the weather is good, bring some food and plan on a picnic. there are some benches at the top of the gardens where the view of the bay and bridges will make it one of the most memorable picnics ever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look at the observation beehive. Some of the CPs appear to be miss labeled.....

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, that beehive in the tropical house is pretty cool. I feel like the sundews they're growing could use a lot more light to be in ideal shape, but that would make displaying them for the public a bit more difficult probably. The ferns in that greenhouse are pretty great though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast