Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Getting import permits

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since there hasn't been any information about the application process posted for more than a year:

I filled out PPQ587 through the e-permits site for small seed lots on June 14 and had it accepted on June 22, just 6 business days. Now I wait and see how long label requests take.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shipping labels only took another 4 days, but now I'm confused about whether my address should be on the outside of the package, and whether or not extra postage needs to be included for shipping to me from the inspection station. It looks like I'll be calling the APHIS office.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't expect government departments to make anything easy do you?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    You don't expect government departments to make anything easy do you?
    I can't speak for nimbulan, but I Certainly don't.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Karen at the APHIS office this morning, as indicated by others, and she was very helpful clarifying my questions. When an imported package comes through USPS, it should be addressed normally to the final destination (your address) and no additional postage is required, since apparently the packages never technically leave the mail system during the process. When packages are sent through a courier service such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc, a separate pre-paid shipping label needs to be included to ship from the inspection station to you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone comment on what species require a CITES permit to import? The information I've been able to find indicates that many appendix II species do not require a CITES permit, yet I've seen people claiming that all appendix II CP's (all Sarracenia and Nepenthes not listed on appendix I) require it. What about Pinguicula ionantha which is not listed on CITES but is protected by the ESA?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    Can anyone comment on what species require a CITES permit to import? The information I've been able to find indicates that many appendix II species do not require a CITES permit, yet I've seen people claiming that all appendix II CP's (all Sarracenia and Nepenthes not listed on appendix I) require it. What about Pinguicula ionantha which is not listed on CITES but is protected by the ESA?
    Yes, I would like to understand the laws regarding Appendix II species as well. And what about transporting these species across state lines?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add that Dionaea muscipula is on appendix II as well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are importing plants, you do need CITES export permit issued by the exporting country (in addition to phytosanitary certificate). But you don't need the paid CITES import permit (PPQ621) unless you are doing the import for business. I'm not completely sure about the requirement of PPQ621 with App. 1 (I'm guessing that you don't need it).

For the small lot of seeds, app 2 seeds are cites exempt, so no need to have CITES import or export permit (and no need to phytosanitary certificate). App 1 seeds are not exempt, so I'm guessing you need export permit (but no need for phytosanitary). This is my understanding from communicating with an APHIS person.
    Last edited by naoki; 07-15-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah that is an interesting note, that PPQ621 is meant for business use. A lot of people seem to think it's necessary for all CITES importation (and I'm not even sure it's required for all appendix II species either.)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast