Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting import permits

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's strange. My permits and amendments have all taken a week on average to process. You will see a notification online much sooner than anything you receive in the mail, but you're still approved.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Does it cost anything to get the permit (PPQ587 I'm assuming) necessary for importing non-CITES plants?
    Only the CITES permit has a fee. $70 I believe, down from $90. Fees for Phytosanitary Certificates are determined by the issuing country of origin. These run from $20 to $200 USD. Some countries require a certificate for each taxon being shipped.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I have another question. Can you go to a country and try to import plants from there into the US with a phytosanitary certificate if you have the right import permit, or does a permit only work for having plants shipped to you?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can bring in up to 12 plants in your baggage without a permit provided you have phytosanitary certificates issued from the country of origin. The plants will be inspected by Customs agents at the port of entry. If there are any CITES plants you will need a CITES permit. More than 12 plants require permits and phytosanitary certificates. The plants have to be shipped and inspected at the nearest Plant Plant Quarantine inspection station or you can try to make arrangements to have an inspector available when you arrive and the shipment arrive. You are responsible for arranging and paying for shipment to and from the Inspection center. If the inspectors determine the plants need treatment for pests or diseases before leaving quarantine you are responsible for the cost of any treatment. The inspectors could also destroy or have the plants returned to the country of origin. Customs will destroy any plants without phytosanitary certificates.

If you are shipping (importing) the plants from overseas all the same permits are required.

See this post for more information and download the two circulars linked at the bottom.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...5&#post1097395
    Last edited by Not a Number; 04-06-2014 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm it seems like too much trouble to try importing them yourself, although it might be worth it to buy plants from places that don't ship internationally. There is still the question of phytosanitary certificates though.... I asked this because I go to Asia sometimes so I was thinking of bringing some plants back with me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just renewed my permit online. Let's see how long it takes to get approved and new labels mailed out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, guess we will see how this goes. This is what I had to do to get the order through.

I had to contact the seller and get phytosanitary certificates and make sure he knew not to ship until he received my import permits and label for the package. Next I had to go and make a UPS account because after USDA inspects the plants you will need a UPS or Fedex account # so the inspection station can forward the plants to you at your cost.

Next I had to get the seller a package together. I placed the label in plastic labeled "outside of package" and put my permits in plastic labeled "inside with plants". These are shipped to the seller(I used priority).

Now I just have to wait. Update when something significant happens.

Label, for the outside of package.

Permits, for inside of package.

Contents of package to be shipped to seller.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I received my new labels and permits today. So it took about 10-11 days from the time I submitted the renewal application and receiving the paperwork in the mail.

I've yet to import plants but fortunately I live close enough to an inspection center that I could pick them up.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast