Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting import permits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paperwork arrived to the seller today. Plants should ship in a few days. I'll update when they ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants shipped today. I'll update when they get to the inspection station.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sent a quick email to the Maryland office asking about emailing labels. I was going for a joking lighthearted tone so hopefully my computer joke doesn't make me sound like a **** lol.

Is it necessary to physically mail the labels to the overseas exporter or could I email him the labels, let him print them, and him attach the labels to the parcel being imported? I am new to this (just applied for the 587 permit on the 29th) and find mailing the labels a little cumbersome considering we have these strange devices known as computers haha. I appreciate you helping and look forward to hearing back!

Best,
    Robert Cody Lawson

I am 99% sure we have to physically mail everything but a little feedback never hurts to get things changed/modernized. As often as I have imported plants from czplants I am kind of surprised he never mentioned me needing labels.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I posted before you send copies of the permits. The labels have to be original. The one of the directions on the back of the label reads:

"Do not duplicate the label. Only original labels will be accepted."

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So all they need to do is add a barcode, scan it at the inspection center, that reports back to APHIS database, and import label becomes invalid/used. Am I wrong? They could even bypass the barcode and just type in the label's import number and mark it as used. Just seems overly complicated to mail to permit holder, mail to exporter, and then mail back to permit holder again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize I am preaching to the choir here too haha. Government agencies are never known or lauded for their efficiency. Given the rather small size of this department though I would imagine they could change things relatively easily. Even when I worked back at the DoD we had a lot more flexibility than one would initially assume.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    APHIS will send you as many labels as you want, so it's really not a big deal. However, if you feel strongly against sending your labels, you can always ask the exporter to use a courier, which doesn't even require it. Be prepared to pay the extra, though, and they still need the copies of your permits.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The labels don't go the the permit holder, they go to the inspection center. The labels are removed at the center and replaced with the address to the permit holder. Each label is numbered. They are government documents. Most governments don't like you making duplicates of their documents. It's too easy to alter the permit number and expiration dates on duplicates. And not everybody likes using computers. That's why you can still apply for the permits via fax or US Mail.

If you apply for a visa you have to send your passport. A duplicate won't suffice.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast