Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting import permits

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    APHIS will send you as many labels as you want, so it's really not a big deal. However, if you feel strongly against sending your labels, you can always ask the exporter to use a courier, which doesn't even require it. Be prepared to pay the extra, though, and they still need the copies of your permits.
    It depends on the carrier and the materials. Some require the green and yellow label. More than 12 plants will require a label. From a supplemental document from APHIS:

Guidance on the Importation of PPQ-regulated articles through Express Carriers Requiring Green and Yellow Labels (PPQ Form 508)

Mailing of importations through express carriers will involve both an International Air Waybill and a Domestic Air Waybill. You will need to obtain both the International and the Domestic Air Waybills at the initial stage of shipment. The International Air Waybill brings the material into the United States and to the appropriate Plant Inspection Station. It is important to note that the International Air Waybill address for delivery must be the same as the PPQ Label. Otherwise, the shipment may be prohibited or returned to origin. The Domestic Air Waybill ensures delivery from the Plant Inspection Station to the final destination.

Place the Domestic Air Waybill inside the package to be shipped. Upon clearance of the shipment at the Plant Inspection Station, the inspector will attach the Domestic Air Waybill to the package and forward the package to the final destination listed on the Domestic Air Waybill.

Address the International Air Waybill as follows:

o From: Shipper
    o To: The Plant Inspection Station Listed on the Green & Yellow Import Label
    • See example of import label below

Address the Domestic Air Waybill as follows:

o From: The Plant Inspection Station Listed on the Green and Yellow Import Label
    • See example of import label below
    o To: Final Address as Outlined on the Permit

For Permitting and Labeling questions, please contact our Customer Support Center at (301) 851-2046. For additional information on the importation of Plants for Planting visit:
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_heal.../nursery.shtml
    Last edited by Not a Number; 06-03-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry bad wording, I realize the inspection station removes the labels. I was more referring to the entire process of govt mailing to you -> you mail to exporter -> exporter mails to inspection station and they mail the package. If everything was digitized govt would authorize digital label numbers -> you email label with number -> exporter prints label with number & mails to inspection station -> inspection station scans label and invalidates the number in the database -> you get the package.

Since everything is digitized you eliminate the cost and time of mailing the labels (that's anywhere from 10-14 business days). Furthermore, since the number would have to be checked against the APHIS/e-permits database, a random photoshopped number would be rejected since it didn't match their system. And obviously, if someone wanted to do it the old way the previous system would still exist.

This is all hypothetical of course. I don't mind mailing the labels back and forth; I am just horribly impatient lol. Besides, overseas orders are always quite large so knowing your purchased plants are so far away yet still so close is just excruciating!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was in the automated email they send after you email them:

...In addition, as part of the USDA's overall eGovernment initiative to transform and enhance the delivery of its programs, services, and information, we recommend that you utilize our electronic permitting system (e-Permits), as this is the fastest and most efficient way to obtain and renew a permit. This web-based tool will allow you to apply for a permit, check its status, and view it on-line.

It just seems strange to not modernize a major aspect of their permit system when they deliberately state (in the first paragraph none the less) that their goal is to modernize the delivery of their permit system lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds simple doesn't it? If you have ever worked on a large scale IT project, nothing is simple. If you've ever worked on a large scale government IT project then it gets complicated beyond all belief. Just look at the Affordable Health Care Act exchange website. And just to save a couple bucks per permit - it will probably take 10 years to recuperate the cost of the project. And try to get the cost cutting crazy Congress to write a check for this.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It doesn't take much effort and thought to stuff a couple pieces of paper in an envelope and drop it in the mail. It doesn't take much effort to slap a pre-printed label on a package and a couple pieces of paper into the parcel. Why should the shipper have to print and cut out a two-sided color label? It's difficult enough sometimes to get the shipper to understand and follow the instructions as it is. Electronic transmittal of the labels isn't going to fix that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    It's difficult enough sometimes to get the shipper to understand and follow the instructions as it is.
    Yes - the ins & outs of the the gov't side of things have been nothing compared to the realities of trying to get non-English-speaking people to understand the steps (& follow them). Many, even those who speak/write perfect English, will ignore everything & ship directly to me**.

Sometimes, incredible, hard-to-believe stuff just happens. An individual in Colombia followed my instructions perfectly. The Colombian Narcotics Police then opened the envelope, confiscated/destroyed the seeds, stapled an ugly green official notice to the envelope & allowed it to continue on it's journey.

** this is even after I created the 'perfect' packet. I fabricated a padded envelope with everything inside & sticker outside. Instructions in English & Spanish. All the shipper needed to do is place packet of seeds inside, seal & add appropriate postage. And yes, I've also had people in England ignore everything & ship directly to me - so it's not limited to non-English-speaking people.

All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small update for a lil clarity. When you contact the seller before placing your order make sure they understand the only address they should ship to is the inspection station and place your invoice with shipping label inside with the plants. My package has 2 ship to addresses and I'm not sure its supposed to be labeled like this. Hopefully it will be alright but do not have your packages labeled this way.

Second, if you order sarrs, ask the seller to trim back the pitchers. I didnt and the seller shipped with pitchers intact. This has me worried more than the label because those pitchers have to pass inspection from insects and disease.

Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two shipping labels are ok as long as the green and yellow label is not covered. The additional label should show the same ship to address as on the green and yellow label. If it doesn't there could be delays in routing the package to an inspection center. Normally a package will get sent to the nearest inspection center to the port of entry - this may not be the center nearest to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. One ship to label is my address. Thats what has me concerned. I'm more worried about the pitchers really.

Anyone ever import sarrs with pitchers intact?
    Last edited by dionae; 06-04-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast