Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting import permits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Getting import permits

I finally decided to get my import permits so I can go all international with my obsession and thought i'd share what I had to do and exactly what permits you need. First you need to go here and make an account-

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/home/

After getting your account opened(waiting 10 and 20 minutes and confirming through email) you need to apply for level 2 access to the site. After applying for level 2 you will have to fax or visit the closest usda service center(you can google for a list) to show them your ID and they will verify your level 2 access.

Next you will need to login to your usda account and apply for forms PPQ587(free) and PPQ621($70). I'll apply for both next week and tell you about the forms and process after filing the forms, etc.

If you need help call the APHIS main office in Maryland. They are very nice and very helpful and very thorough in their explanations.

Update soon!

I know there are other threads but I plan on updating from getting permits to getting plants in my hands.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get this document also Plant Importers Responsibilities. This is an excellent summary as to what is required and how to expedite your shipment. It is recommended that this be sent to the exporter. It is available in several languages (contact APHIS for these).

Note the PPQ621 is required only for CITES species. If you have no intention of importing CITES (Endangered Species) then you do not need this. However it might be a good idea have this after what happened to Dean Cook.

Be aware also that there are import restrictions at the State level for Endangered/Concerned and Invasive Species and you may need additional permits from the your State government.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 02-28-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link and info nan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be prepared for a lot of networking if you want to import plants. Now I'm trying to find someone at the state level that knows if I need anything. I guess not many people from ky import plants because everyone keeps directing me to USDA. Guess I'll be calling MD again...ive called so much we'll be on a first name basis soon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering, are these import permits for importing seeds or importing plants?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is directing you to USDA because the permits are issued through them under the APHIS program. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. As for the question about importing plants or seeds, it depends upon the permit. I believe you can import plants using a PPQ 587 (without the phytosanitary certificate exemption....because there isn't one.) You can import seeds with the PPQ587 with a phytosanitary certificate exemption. So called small seed lot(s). If and when you attempt to do this, be prepared for some frustration and difficulty. Do not think you can go to your local USDA office and get information about APHIS. If you have trouble with the online system don't think just any USDA office will be able to help you. There is only one office/phone # for tech support/help with the online access portal. If you go to the wrong link to enter the portal, it won't work. It will still say APHIS, though. And ask you for some fiddle/faddle ID number. And it won't say why it won't let you in. Keep your frustration/anxiety to a minimum by understanding there will be hiccups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to call the main office in MD. Theyre actually quite pleasant to deal with.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast