What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any recent experiences ordering from Allen Lowrie?

bluemax

Lotsa blue
Supporter
There are old threads addressing results from orders placed with Allen Lowrie but they are mixed in opinion and over 5 years old. I'm guessing that some here have more recent experiences and if so I would very much appreciate hearing what you think. His catalog is a beguiling list of rare and hard to find species, especially the seeds. But making an order is not cheap and his sales terms are unusual and not exactly convenient so it's not a casual thing to do.

I won't buy from him. When I inquired about paperwork like permits and phytosanitary certificates he told me I don't need any for hobby/craft materials. Wrong. And from speaking to others who have bought from him he does shady stuff like hiding the seeds in a book and not declaring the seeds.

There's no difference in importing seeds without the proper paperwork than collecting plants or seeds without proper permits or permission.

I enquired About his prices and found them to be ridiculous so I have never brought from him, he also sells nepenthes seed that I am adamant is to old, but again I have not purchased from him.

Also Not A Member, for most countries you can send/receive seeds without permits providing it is correctly labelled and is not a declared weed in your country/region, also (atleast for AU) there must only be seed and no plant matter like a pod (but nepenthes seem to come through even with pods), plants on the other hand need certificates.
So why would he hide the seeds in a book if he only needs to write "Drosera Binata" and he is ok.

Here is what I came up with the last time I researched Allen Lowrie, I have no actual experience with this person. Is quoting yourself arrogant or what :-D.

"I've spend a little time trying to look into this source and the general concensus is that the seeds are not viable/fresh and that all the tubers "may" be wild collected.

Here is a post by Talmin on the matter. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...ndew-Pix/page2?p=956479&viewfull=1#post956479 There are several more over at the CPUK forums and other CP forums, all basically saying the same thing, Allen will not say where the plants are coming from. Its the internet so all hearsay but its consistant.

With the lack of information about any production facilities or any information about where Allen Lowrie is getting the Cephs from I just can't take that chance."

Dig around a little it doesn't take long, something is off with this guy. Could be something harmless could be something illegal but something is not right.

Ive known a few people that ordered from him recently. Both had good experiences. I still haven't gotten anything from him but he does have one plant I would love to have. If someone plunges foward I would love to attempt to obtain that plant. I haven't seen if offered anywhere else. I tried to piggyback on someone's order but the price was alittle higher than expected. Could have had the single plant shipped to my house from Allen for almost the same price.

Would love to find it already here in the states. If you know where I can find utricularia menziesii I am all ears!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your replies!

I try very hard to stay within the confines of reasonable laws and I have a personal stake in the preservation of rare and possibly threatened plant species. It is a lot to think about. I am told there is a good chance that if anyone in the US is growing petiolaris sundews Allen Lowrie was the original source for their plants.

Also Not A Member, for most countries you can send/receive seeds without permits providing it is correctly labelled and is not a declared weed in your country/region, also (atleast for AU) there must only be seed and no plant matter like a pod (but nepenthes seem to come through even with pods), plants on the other hand need certificates.
So why would he hide the seeds in a book if he only needs to write "Drosera Binata" and he is ok.

The Customs and Agriculture regulations for the United States requires a phytosanitary certificates for all live plant material (plants, seeds, cuttings, pollen, tubers etc.) or special small seed lot permit (restrictions on amount and or weight). This permit was created for hobbyists and gardeners purchasing small amounts of seeds. Plant material for hobby or craft use has to be treated or processed in manner to render it inert so that it doesn't harbor pests.

Seeds entering the US without proper documentation as subject to destruction.

A friend of mine mailed home seeds he obtained during the 1010 ICPS Conference in Leiden without documentation. The seeds were destroyed by Customs and Agriculture. So was the seed he had in his luggage.

The laws of every country are different. See how far you'll get driving on the left side of the road in the US ;)

Refer to the US Code of Federal Regulations Title 7 parts 319, 351 and 361 as well as US Code Title 7 Agriculture.

I've purchased seed from growers in Australia before. They happily complied with the regulations needed to import seed legally in the US - attached labels and paperwork which I mailed before they shipped the seed and addressed to an inspection facility. And the shipping was only a few dollars because they weren't mailing a book.

Odd, I am in Au and have never had to get any paper work, nor have any seeds been confiscated/destroyed, I even called Au authorities and was told and seed will be permitted providing it is clearly labelled in English, has only seed and no other organic matter, is individually packed (one species per bag not mixed in) and are not declared pests.
I was under the impression this was world wide as I have sent drosera seed to a few European nations and Asian countries with no issues, but I don't recall ever posting to the USA, I will keep this in mind if I ever do Not A Member.

I looked into some posts talking about Allen Lowrie and found them to be interesting, especially this one: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28623. I'm not sure what to think, but personally I think buying plants potentially taken from the wild, even if "legal," would be more discomforting than some import laws.
For what it's worth, the NECPS recently did a group buy from Allen Lowrie (http://necps.proboards.com/thread/108/2013-allen-lowrie-group-order?page=2) and there doesn't seem to be negative feedback about it.

Just to clarify any myths, Allen does not hide things in books or anything else. His boxes are clearly marked (often with pictures of the plants on the outside) of what's inside.

If you do place an order please post some details here.

Back