Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kataok View Post
    Adelea, Do you mean a bottle inverted- stuck into the substrate? Then it would take in water when the substrate dried a bit??
    No, the plants pots go into a water tray (I use a 5-10cm deep tray, then you can put individual plants at any depth) then at one end (or both if the tray is big enough) you place the inverted bottle, to help stand up I cut out a large pot that fits in the tray and place the bottle within it for stability.
    As for a humid dome, stagnant air is no good and can cause rot if left for to long, and it will do very little in the way of stopping evaporation as if your using tray it is stillgoing to evaporate.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also add that if it is to be for an extended period, say much more than a week, be sure you are using a synthetic material for the wick, unless you are using lfs. I like nylon clothesline cord. Cotton will start to rot and cause all sorts of mayhem after awhile. For a week this shouldn't be a problem.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I might just do tray method for all of my plants. Leave them with a full tray.. It seems like it will be easiest for a one week trip.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's what I will do too. My tray is only 2 inches high though.... Anyone know how much water is needed for it to last a week or so?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Less light will cause less growth and transpiration. Take a bulb out of your fixture maybe, or switch to a north/east facing window, or place plants in the shade. My Drosera collection went 4 days completely without light in my basement when our temps dropped to 9 degrees and our power went out. No harm whatsoever and I imagine they could've easily popped back after a week of this.
    2) Find some teenager or friend or someone you trust and hand them money. Money is magical.
    3) For the person going away for a month--maybe there's someone on TF who you could ship your plants to, and who would then babysit them and ship them back in a month? Maybe send a few bucks for the effort, or some plantlets or leaf cuttings or something? I've never heard of anyone doing this but there are some ridiculously nice and awesome people on this forum and it always surprises me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12