User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Styrofoam Cooler Overheat Roots?

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just when I thought I had all the reasons in the world to already be jealous of a person living in Hawaii. Thanks for your insight, Mach.

I was considering adding some lava rock to the mix as well. How course is your rock?

I have enough live sphagnum I thought I might top dress with it, too.

My summer temps: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/63841 It says our average low in July is 70 degrees. I would have guessed 80!
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also should note, Mach, that I was thinking of experimenting with terracota as well. It is good to hear of your positive results!

I purchased some from Wal-Mart (8", $3 or so each) to use. I soaked them in rain water for a few days in a bucket with constant flow from my gutter. Did you have to go through such procedures to make your pots usable, or am I being anal retentive?
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was fairly large chunks. not too different from the large stuff from the BBQ grill section of the hardware store. added some smaller ones in to get a more cohesive mix. I seem to see that the live sphagnum aids in evaporative cooling in a big way.

old pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    I seem to see that the live sphagnum aids in evaporative cooling in a big way.
    Noted! Is that plant grown outside?
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes. outside. but my climate is atypical for what people imagine for Hawaii. Living at 3500 feet. So we get cold every night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a documentary the other day discussing the variable climates of Hawaii. It was truly interesting to observe so many climates in such a tropical place.

Lousy Missouri. Not that I hate living in Missouri, I just sort of hate living in Missouri.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should let everyone know of the experiment I started last night, by the way. I mixed my course, peat-based cobra mix and loaded it into five different containers: the 8" x 10" polystyrene container mentioned earlier (holes in the sides 1" or so from the bottom), a 7" round x 6" deep foam container (also with holes), an 8" terracotta pot, and two plastic dishwashing tubs: one around 10" x 12" x 6" and the other around 8" x 10" x 4" (both with holes in the sides about 1" from the bottom). The clay pot will sit in a water tray with a hopefully-constant water depth of 1". I plan on leaving them out in the sun for a few days to see if any of them out performs the other.

I also would like to experiment with recirculating water through each of these setups to see which might perform best under those scenarios.

Suggestions?
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12